What to expect - Travel Ball Tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2012
This is both my dd's first year of travel ball and trying to find out what to expect at the tryout. DD #1 is pitcher and infielder (SS/2B). DD #2 is catcher and all over player (inf/of).

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has not been to one but I have observed a few.

Your DDs softball games are what they are, let them show their stuff.

Little things matter a lot.

Pay attention to what is going on
Be the 1st player at every station
Help and compliment the other Players
Personal thing but it might be best if you drop them off and come back when it is over

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Remember this.

your dds are trying out for the team, but the team is also trying out for your family. Talk to the coaches, talk to other parents. make sure that your expectations are in line with the team's. Too many sad stories on this site about kids, and families, not getting what they wanted from their travel ball experience. Travel ball can be a lot of fun, but if things aren't lined up properly it can be less then fun. Try out for more then one team if possible, find the right fit and it will be a much better experience.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I suggest stay and watch.If it doesn't work out atleast you will know for the future what to expect and work on.Your DD will be expected to pitch to a catcher(probably you).They will not only be looking at speed,but also what pitches you DD can throw.They also will be looking at if you DD can locate her pitches to a glove target.They will hit your DD's ground balls and pop-ups.They may be timed running the bases.They also will hit most likely off a pitching machine.The coaches will also be looking at how well your DD's interact with the other girls and coaches.Go to a couple of tryouts.Some people even go to a tryout to see what is expected before they go to their preferred teams tryout.This helps to see what is going to be expected at the next tryout.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I agree with Chinamigarden.....there are different levels of TB and team expectations, family commitments, $$$, varying from team to team. I would STRONGLY encourage you to find out what the goals/expectations are for each TB team before you decide. Some TB teams play 5 or 6 tournaments in the Spring/Summer while others may play 15+. I have also seen parents choose a team based on the proximity of practice field vs. finding the best 'match'. Drive a little further to find a good match!

As for the tryout itself - I would expect them to run through several infield and outfield stations, hitting against soft toss and live pitching (could be a pitcher or a machine). Pitchers and catchers are usually asked to stay late. They will watch pitches, probably use a radar gun, and observe 'movement' of the pitches. Catchers will be judged on how they frame, drop and block, and throw down to second.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
Lots of great advice here. As a coach, some of the things I look for (in addition to the obvious) are: a) mechanics, b) knowledge of the game (knowing where to go on a hit ball, etc.), and c) enthusiasm or potential to lead. Parents are a big part of the relationship too, and you can bet most coaches will do their research on you before they offer you a spot on their team.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
If I may, when watching the tryouts as an optimistic parent don't look for your dd to be in the top 9 girls at tryouts. I did this last year and often found myself thinking dd was easily in the top 9 most of the time top 5(big surprise). Before tryouts even start there are probably 5 or 6 girls that are already on the team(even if they do tryout). So dd needs to be in top 5. More than likely top 3. I know several teams that are having open tryouts but only looking for 2 or 3 players and those are usually invited.
I watched my dd last year to compare her to other girls thinking she was a shoein only to see her get passed over. Sorry to be negative Nancy just an observation I had.
Oh and I don't know about teams in your area but teams around here don't notify you if you don't make it.

Jul 26, 2010
Do a few tryouts for teams that you don't really intend to join before trying out for a team that you might like. Choose BETTER teams to try out for first, rather then worse teams. This will help your daughter get up to speed and get the jitters out so it's routine by the time it counts.

The rest of the advice here has been very good.

As a coach, I always look for Attitude, Effort, Athleticism, and Ability, in that order. The reason for this is that it is a coaches job to teach the skills that make up ability, the other three are intangible and very hard to teach. The kids that come with these first three skills do much better in the long run. However, the older the kid is, the more ability they are expected to have. At 10u and 12u, it's all about the intangibles. At 14u the kids should have a solid base knowledge of the position they're trying out for, and at 16u and 18u they should be experts.

The other thing I look for is coachability. I always make sure to spend a few seconds instructing each kid, to see how they respond to the coaching and how quickly they incorporate it into their skill. This is usually done during fielding, infield or outfield, but it can be done during hitting, such as saying "I only want you to hit the inside pitches this time", or some such.

Hustle everywhere. Never walk from station to station, or anywhere else on the softball field. Be respectful, and thank the coaches for their time.

Good luck!

-W

Jul 26, 2010
Pitching tryouts are a whole different topic. Your pitching instructor should be able to help you here and give you a few specific lessons tailored around trying out. Usually this involves an understanding of the types of pitcher tryouts (lineups and cattle calls are the most frequent). Learning how to pace oneself during tryouts, an understanding of where the coaches are and who they are paying attention to at the moment, and knowing how to pitch various pitches under pressure is very important. There's usually a tryout form that asks the player to list their pitches and speeds. Be honest, since the coaches may be gunning your speed that day. I've seen coaches stand in the box with their toes on the dish, pointing the radar gun at the pitcher and saying "okay, inside drop. Outside curve. Inside rise, ect". That's pretty freaking stressful, since not only does the kid not want to hit the coach but most kids freak out when you point a radar gun at them. IF they can come out of that unscathed though, pitching anywhere else is cake.

One of the teams my daughter tried out for last year had 45 pitchers and catchers lined up down the foul line from home to the fence (400' fence) and only 2 coaches evaluating them. They only had an opening for 1 pitcher. Other tryouts only had 5 pitchers present trying out. It varies team by team.

Good luck!

-W