What is the best bat on the market?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 29, 2008
Peppers, That is the weight that most of us (women) use in Slowpitch. I find it heavy and I just stick to FP bats.

Moving up 2 ounces, is a lot.

A lot of college power-hitter types use SP bats to GET the extra weight. If your swing is connected (meaning you are basically swinging with the body, not the arms), the extra weight doesn't affect quickness or bat speed much, if at all. And helps at contact, obviously.

Cochran used a 26, 28, or 30 while in college, depending on pitcher / situation. Several on my daughter's college team (including her) use a 27 or 28. None of them are particularly large girls, though obviously they lift a lot / are relatively strong. Hitters on other teams with which I am familiar use the same. Basically means they are using a SP bat in FP.

May not be for every player, but it is a positive thing for some players.

Regards,

Scott

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Cochran was one of the best ever.

The OP is talking about a 13 YO. I don't know how old Pepper's DD is.

Yes, we women can hit with that heavy of stick, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A lot of college power-hitter types use SP bats to GET the extra weight. If your swing is connected (meaning you are basically swinging with the body, not the arms), the extra weight doesn't affect quickness or bat speed much, if at all. And helps at contact, obviously.

Cochran used a 26, 28, or 30 while in college, depending on pitcher / situation. Several on my daughter's college team (including her) use a 27 or 28. None of them are particularly large girls, though obviously they lift a lot / are relatively strong. Hitters on other teams with which I am familiar use the same. Basically means they are using a SP bat in FP.

May not be for every player, but it is a positive thing for some players.

Regards,

Scott

Scott, I like what you have to say here.

My view is that if you don't swing with the arms, and instead swing with a tight hand-pivot-point, then you can indeed handle the extra weight.

Oct 19, 2009
Cochran was one of the best ever.

The OP is talking about a 13 YO. I don't know how old Pepper's DD is.

Yes, we women can hit with that heavy of stick, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

My DD 15, 600 ft and 165 lb, uses a Demarini CF4 in games 34/25 and a Worth 34/26 during batting practice.

Oct 25, 2009
My DD 15, 600 ft and 165 lb, uses a Demarini CF4 in games 34/25 and a Worth 34/26 during batting practice.

Well, at 600 ft I think those bats are really small; but I guess the field would be, too! :D

Seriously, if you can swing the bat without loss of speed and control, that's great. But generally I wouldn't push the weight limit. Around 23 oz is near the limit at that age for most kids.

Oct 19, 2009
Well, at 600 ft I think those bats are really small; but I guess the field would be, too! :D

Seriously, if you can swing the bat without loss of speed and control, that's great. But generally I wouldn't push the weight limit. Around 23 oz is near the limit at that age for most kids.

I agree too heavey of a bat can cause poor mechanics.

She was told to use a 34 bat at the Alabama camp she attended, I worked her up slowely until she got to the current bat size.

Her best friend a lefty is 16, 502 in, 110 lb uses a 33 RT don't recall the ounce size for sure I think it is a 24.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I agree too heavey of a bat can cause poor mechanics.

She was told to use a 34 bat at the Alabama camp she attended, I worked her up slowely until she got to the current bat size.

Her best friend a lefty is 16, 502 in, 110 lb uses a 33 RT don't recall the ounce size for sure I think it is a 24.

If you read what Scott said above, it may be the case of swinging too light of a bat leading to inferior swing mechanics.

I agree with Scott … one should not be swinging the barrel with their “arms”, but with their body … they should not be pulling the barrel along the length of the barrel, but they should be turning the barrel with a tight Hand Pivot Point.

A lot of college programs put their players on a weight-training program. Some of the coaches that do this explain to me that they have a goal of moving the players up to swinging heavier bats. The question I ask myself, ... is it the weight-training program that allows the kids to migrate to swinging heavier bats, or is it the goal of swinging a heavier bat that causes the players to migrate towards using swing mechanics that permit swinging a heavier bat with their 'body' instead of their 'arms'.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
If you read what Scott said above, it may be the case of swinging too light of a bat leading to inferior swing mechanics.

I agree with Scott … one should not be swinging the barrel with their “arms”, but with their body … they should not be pulling the barrel along the length of the barrel, but they should be turning the barrel with a tight Hand Pivot Point.

A lot of college programs put their players on a weight-training program. Some of the coaches that do this explain to me that they have a goal of moving the players up to swinging heavier bats. The question I ask myself, ... is it the weight-training program that allows the kids to migrate to swinging heavier bats, or is it the goal of swinging a heavier bat that causes the players to migrate towards using swing mechanics that permit swinging a heavier bat with their 'body' instead of their 'arms'.

Almost guaranteed that if you swing a bat that is too heavy when you are learning to swing your mechanics are going to be flawed.

To use an extreme, imagine trying to swing a 48 oz. bat. You may be able to hit the ball in some way, but guaranteed it won't be pretty.

Swinging too light doesn't risk bad fundamentals as much as too heavy.

Baseball players have learned that a bat too heavy is a disadvantage.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Clarity

Anybody have any input on the 2009 easton clarity -11.5. we have a young 10u team (8 and 9yr olds) that swing well. This bat is available in a 17.5 oz 29". I cant seem to find many composite bats this light. Im not a big easton fan (because of the Olympics) but I found one clearanced out at a good price, we have limited $. Is it balanced, hows the grip, and feel? Pop? Thanks

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Anybody have any input on the 2009 easton clarity -11.5.

From experience I feel this is an inferior bat and do not recommend it. Several on my team and in our league bought it because it originally retailed for $199 and was lighter but still a composite. I do not feel it performs like the other Easton composites. Lots of stingers with this bat and a smaller sweet spot (same with the TPS -12 Zepher IMO). My DD plays 10U and uses a 2008 synergy -10. MUCH MUCH more pop and better sweet spot and I have hit them both plenty. If you want to go composite and need to go light the only one I've hit with a few times and feels like it might perform up to the -10 and -8's is the Miken Rain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00