What is proper HBP protocol?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2011
My DD now throws hard enough that when she plonks another 12YO it hurts. Today in a scrimmage she hit a girl in the stomach and the girl took five minutes to recover. DD went over to her a couple of times to apologize. I didn't know what to say or do. I am sure most of you have gone through this so please give me your advice: What is the proper course of conduct for a pitcher who hits a girl? How should she react? She felt terrible about it after the game and I didn't know what to tell her.

Jan 25, 2011
My dd doesnt say nothing, it is part of the game, she could apologize,but she doesnt. I dont want you to think my dd is cold, but she doesnt care if she hits someone, she hit one of her good friends once in the head and her friends helmet almost came off from the hit. My dd never said a word not at the time or after the game. She knows as a pitcher you have to stay focused and to not worry about things like that.She knows the deal, she has been hit before and doesnt expect the pitcher to say anything to her.She say there is no crying in softball,only if you win the gold medal at the olympics.Shes alot tougher then I'am.She had brain surgery on a Wednesday and by Friday she stopped taking pain meds,so she feels that if she it is part of the game.The batter doesnt apologize if they hit a homerun off you.

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
I tell my dd to forget it and focus on the next batter, it's not her fault that the batter did not get out of the way fast enough.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If you are going to pitch, you have to get used to the fact that you will hit batters. They will still feel bad about it (I know my DD does), especially if the hit batter is rolling around on the ground and screaming like she's been shot or something. I tell my pitchers unless they hit the batter in the face/head, the girl will be OK. My team takes a knee on the field until the girl gets up and gives her a hand when she does. Batters need to learn to protect themselves (obviously this one was not if she was hit square in the stomach), and coaches need to teach this in practice, just like any other skill.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I agree with the above posts.

If a pitcher hits a batter she does not need to apologize, HBP is a part of the game.

DD throws very hard and I have asked her about this; she told me that she's never happy that she hit a batter but she isn't sorry it happened either. "she should have moved faster"

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For the 1st time last year DD threw the ball hard enough that the batter would feel it they did not get out of the way. I told DD was that it was a good thing; it means you are throwing the ball harder. They should feel it if they do not get out of the way and get 1st base.

I agree with the above replies.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
She should say "you don't have to thank me for giving you 1st."

But seriously, they have to try to get into their head that it is the batter that didn't get out of the way. If it is getting to them too much, like the multiple "sorry(s)" you are describing, I would bet that she beans one of the next couple batters too. Kind of like golfing, you can drive the ball over 250 straight all day, until there is a water hazzard at 200 on the right getting into your head.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD is just mad she gave up a base (especially if she was ahead in the count). I agree with most of the other posters here - my DD is totally of the "She should have got out of the way" school of thinking. I don't remember her ever hitting two in a row - I do have a lot of memories of her being mad and striking a lot of next batters out.

During the game she doesn't say a word - doesn't change expressions at all (no matter what is going on).

After the game, if she hit someone hard who then had to leave the game she will walk over and make sure the other girl is OK. That is about it. That is after the game.

I have a couple of pitchers who I KNOW that hitting a batter gets to them. They will either walk the next batter on 4 balls or hit that next batter as well. I will always pull them if either of those things happen and then look to re-enter them later in the game once they have settled down.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Okay,there was one thing I forgot in my post.My dd likes the way it sounds when the ball hits the girl,she does have a little evil side to her:eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck