What is proper HBP protocol?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
I find some responses to be mildly surprising. Yes, it's part of the game, and 98 percent of the time, hitting a batter is no different than a walk. No guilt. No apology. Yeah, it hurts a little. That's softball. Next batter.

However, I would not train a player to have no feeling at all. This isn't mortal combat. If a girl is truly injured and in significant pain for an extended period, I would expect my players to have concern or sympathy. Teaching girls that "She should've got out of the way faster'' and ''There's no crying in softball" encourages them to think their only purpose in life is to kick rear and not care about other people, IMO. There's a balance to be had.

We are talking 12 year old girls, not professional players with control. My dd is extremely accurate but on very rare occassion in her whole 2 1/2 years pitching experience has hit a girl. She needs to feel nothing but focusing on the next pitch so that it doesn't happen again. She has taken her share of rib shots and ankle biters in this game. She knows she has to move quick to get out of the way of a wild pitch. It is just part of the game.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We are talking 12 year old girls, not professional players with control. My dd is extremely accurate but on very rare occassion in her whole 2 1/2 years pitching experience has hit a girl. She needs to feel nothing but focusing on the next pitch so that it doesn't happen again. She has taken her share of rib shots and ankle biters in this game. She knows she has to move quick to get out of the way of a wild pitch. It is just part of the game.

Agreed. But you're talking about the common HBP. I'm talking about the rare occasion when somebody might be seriously injured.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Good sportsmanship never goes out of style, so apologizing is the right thing to do, but you cannot let your DD dwell on it. Over the years I have found that a pitcher who is able to 'forget' about her last pitch, and concentrate on her next pitch, is the best mindset to have!

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I would tell the pitcher to ask the batter if she is ok. No harm in doing that and it would be obvious that she didn't throw at her. Then continue with the game.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I find some responses to be mildly surprising. Yes, it's part of the game, and 98 percent of the time, hitting a batter is no different than a walk. No guilt. No apology. Yeah, it hurts a little. That's softball. Next batter.

However, I would not train a player to have no feeling at all. This isn't mortal combat. If a girl is truly injured and in significant pain for an extended period, I would expect my players to have concern or sympathy. Teaching girls that "She should've got out of the way faster'' and ''There's no crying in softball" encourages them to think their only purpose in life is to kick rear and not care about other people, IMO. There's a balance to be had.

Well yeah! We are not trying to raise satan's spawn. Of course if a girl is laying there hurt, most coaches are not going to try to train feelings out of their pitcher. Most of the girls I know would throw down and walk off the field if I or any other coach suggests no feeling about a hurt player. The fact of it though is probably half of 1% percent of hit batters are truly hurt beyond a bruse and a few tears.

Mar 13, 2010
I had one game where I hit one girl her first three at bats. Mainly because she was crowding the plate every time. Her last at bat she walked up with knee pads and elbow pads on :) (and love the ump for turning and saying 'If you didn't stand on the line you wouldn't need that)

Apologise and move on.

Oct 19, 2009
Never apologize during the game. When you apologize you lose your psychological edge. A successful pitcher commands a certain level of fear - be it failure to hit or getting hit, it's an advantage you don't give up.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Never apologize during the game. When you apologize you lose your psychological edge. A successful pitcher commands a certain level of fear - be it failure to hit or getting hit, it's an advantage you don't give up.

Best quote in this entire thread

Jul 1, 2010
Best quote in this entire thread

Agreed. I don't want my DD to become some sort of heartless "spawn of satan" :rolleyes:. But, I think that the apology can wait until after the game and still be heartfelt. There are no kumbaya parties in softball

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Remember the good old days of baseball? When pitchers felt they owned the plate, and if a hitter was crowding, they were pushed off the plate, period, even if it meant a fastball in the ribs?

Most hitters in softball today sit on the inside box line. Should a pitcher apologize when the ball is 8 inches outside? If it's 8 inches inside, sometimes hitters are going to get hit, simple as that.

If you can throw inside, the outside opens up. When you throw inside, you're going to hit people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom