What is proper HBP protocol?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I had one game where I hit one girl her first three at bats. Mainly because she was crowding the plate every time. Her last at bat she walked up with knee pads and elbow pads on :) (and love the ump for turning and saying 'If you didn't stand on the line you wouldn't need that)

Apologise and move on.

Bravo Lozza. Your chances of being successful are slim if you are not willing to fight "The Battler for the Inside Corner".

And, if even if you did apologize each time, it obviously didn't change your approach. IMO, it can be difficult to get mad at someone who's nice and polite while they're kicking your butt.

liviking

Liviking
Jun 17, 2010
Long Island ,NY
My DD asked me what she should do if she hit someone . I told her , it is a game , you did not do it on purpose . As the girl is walking to first base , ask her if she is OK . This dose two things for her ! One , it gives her the reinsurance that the girl is not hurt and let's her concentrate on the next batter . Second , it will help relieve any guilt feeling in which she might harbor from that batter and any future batters . I told her after the game , if you want , apologized to the girl . Well next game , bam , she hits this girl . On the ground she goes and everyone takes a knee . Girl gets up and takes first , DD says nothing ! There goes another father -daughter speech/lesson out the door ! She retires the side and I believe we won the game . It was cold out so the girls are lining up to shake hands ,most have jackets on . DD shakes all the hands and grabs the opposite coach and wants to know which of his girls got hit by her . I watching this from the side without his knowledge . Coach takes a step back and asks why ? DD says she wants to apologize . He immediately looks at our bench and see's me watching . He smiles and nods to me . DD apologizes , now it just part of her routine . When I asked her why didn't you ask her if she was ok on the way to first , Dad if she was hurt they would had a pitch runner for her ! Thank goodness , it does not happen often .

Jul 1, 2010
Agree with SB. When first moving into kid pitching my DD didn't realize she had to attempt to get out of the way. Three straight plunks on the side and the ump finally said "I think you've earned HBP", even though the count was still 3-0):rolleyes:

Mar 19, 2012
i have not read thru the whole thread so sorry if this has been discussed, but I hate the fact kids take a knee when someone is HBP. Unless she is nailed and knocked out or something serious I don't like it. I have not told them to not do it, but its one of those things in my head I'm screaming!! I could see if she slides and breaks a leg or something serious. Just because she takes one in the ribs or the leg or some minor injury I don't see the point of taking a knee. I would prefer my pitcher/ catcher talking about next batter, my infield gathering together at a base furthest from the girl..exp she hbp then the infield goes to second and my outfield meeting in CF. Guess I'm just a big mean inconsiderate guy!!

Jul 28, 2008
My DD used to get teary when she hit a batter as a first year 10U. I told her, that if anything, she should be ticked off that she just gave that batter a free base. It no longer bothers her. Sometimes she gives them the eye as they trot down, sometimes I can see her smiling.

Jason,

I, too, am not a fan of taking a knee. Throw the ball around and keep warmed up.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
i have not read thru the whole thread so sorry if this has been discussed, but I hate the fact kids take a knee when someone is HBP. ..... Guess I'm just a big mean inconsiderate guy!!

No, just lazy for not reading the entire thread, otherwise what you contributed would have been worthwhile.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd