What IS and what IS NOT a pitching advantage (Physics, NOT rules, here please)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I agree that leaping actually decreases speed because of the weight distribution problem that it typically causes. I do not see a leap as an advantage, check out where leapers front foot lands, it is not like they are getting an extra foot of distance as a result, if anything I think leaping reduces distance since it indicates the weight being too far forward at launch and the launch being directed more up than out.

Leaping is not an advantage. Gym stepping is an advantage since you start the push closer to the hitter, crow hopping is an advantage because of the force generated by the replant. Stepping outside the lanes is an advantage because it creates crazy angles on the ball crossing the plate.

all of these pale in comparison to the advantage that hitters have with bats that turn pop ups into home runs though.

Jul 26, 2010
leaping is an advantage for the pitcher from the visual vantage point of the batter. The arm circle is now far more elliptical then it would be for a legal pitcher, thus disrupting the timing and anticipation picture for the batter.

Not all advantages are pure physics.

-W

Dec 7, 2011
leaping is an advantage for the pitcher from the visual vantage point of the batter. The arm circle is now far more elliptical then it would be for a legal pitcher, thus disrupting the timing and anticipation picture for the batter.

Not all advantages are pure physics.

-W

Hmmmm - different timing from leapers - gotta think about that one.....

Jul 14, 2008
The "physics" are all the same........Leap.......Drag.......Crow-hop(replant).........

DRIVE-BLOCK-TRANSFER........

The ONLY difference is the distance from the plate........

The leaper "seems more powerful" because of the up/out motion........The replanter "seems quicker" because the motion is "re-jiggered" closer to the plate........The dragger seems slower because the entire motion takes longer to develop..........

But the physics involved are the same.......Except the distance to the goal........

That's my experience.........I've had all three styles that can throw over 65.........And under 50 also........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michellehopkins80