Speed Increase Under New Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2015
The current thread on the new step/start back rules has a good discussion of what the new rules provide for. I wondered if anyone can share any measurables they have seen and would attribute to a mechanical advantage from the new rules. The consensus is that velocity will increase. Have others actually seen this, and if so by how much, at what age, and how long did it take to realize the gains? Are we talking about 2mph or 5mph (or none at all) I guess is my question. And were there any other mechanical adjustments besides simply moving the back foot further back? My DD reports feeling “better leverage” with her foot further back but also that “it’s harder to get her center of gravity forward” before she pushes (her words not mine), so this is still in an experimental phase for her.

Feb 15, 2017
Observations I have made so far with about 2 dozen pitchers of varying ages/abilities: the ones that had good drive mechanics before are seeing marginal increases 1-3mph. Others that really didn’t “get” drive however are seeing 3-5. Granted those are the pitchers than are younger and lower in speed. Ive yet to see or hear of any upper 50s-lower 60s speed pitchers made any substantial improvements outside that band. Of course...everyone is relatively new in training this way. Id say 6 months from now would be a better barometer.

Sep 15, 2015
Thanks for the responses. You are right that only time will tell (patience has never been my strong suit). My DD is in that 56-58 zone (and has been for a while) and has not seen any increase under the new rules, but perhaps she will in time.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I get 1-3 MPH from almost every girl. I've been using the QOTH on the back/stride leg to help kids feel how to get even more efficiency by using both legs to drive.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
Mine (HS jr) has seen a 1-2 mph increase in average mph. Now, I will say she’s also gotten stronger since last year, so it’s tough to say if it’s the change in starting position or if it’s her getting stronger.

Aug 21, 2008
I can promise you this difference will not be marginal. It will become a night and day difference in their pitching. It's all about leverage and momentum. If you're only seeing a 1-3 MPH or difference then your kid has not figured it out yet and using it to her advantage. She probably just doesn't have the body awareness for what can happen when the timing is fixed and she allows herself to EXPLODE off the rubber.

Pitching indoors is harder, because even with the mat you throw down with a rubber glued on it there's nothing to physically push from like outside. But if she's working on the explosion, the weight transfer, the load of the push off leg, arms (plural, armS) leading the way the speed difference should be higher than 3mph.

Believe me, I had to pitch both ways: 2 feet on the rubber and with 1 foot. There is simply no question which way provides significantly more power.

Bill

May 17, 2012
I agree with others it's just 1-2 mph difference if any. My group is 16u pitchers over the years so maybe the younger pitchers can get more out of it as Bill alluded too. I just haven't seen it.

Just my observations with a radar gun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying