What does she need to work on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
As I view it, Buttermaker is advocating something similar to Swingbuilder's drill as FP26 noted, also akin to the uptick drill which I use with hitters (I have them smack stacked buckets behind them) to get them to feel the rearward launch. It's a not intuitive but valuable thing to feel. Like most here I've seen throw-bat drills where the bat is thrown forward. Like all drills, it can be good or bad, bad if it encourages a forward push and a feel of the swing being "out in front" of the hitter, good if it helps with the feel of a release through contact that "throws the top hand past the bottom hand" vs. a release that is muscled up or chicken-winged.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Bat throwing has been around for a while. The initial direction with acceleration is what needs to be learned. Even from a neck slot position the bat should be thrown in the catchers direction to feel that quick snap and direction from the forearms. This removes the need to take the hands forward.

For those advocating throwing the barrel forward - the swing is over by then.

The swing is far from over with at frame-1 of a healthy 5-frame swing.

May 3, 2014
Based on your words the swing is over from a mechanical standpoint. All you are saying is that the transfer isn't complete. You can't affect the transfer that late in the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
How does momentum fit into your energy transfer? IYO is the energy transfer momentum based?

From a technical point of view the swing can be described in terms of momentum transfer and/or energy transfer. Momentum transfer and energy transfer are not the same however. It takes 'force' times 'time' to change 'momentum'. It takes 'force' acting through a 'distance' to change 'energy'.

As the baseball/softball swing progresses, the batter applies more and more force to the bat head causing it to accelerate and increase in speed. The bat head's momentum and energy therefore increases.

For the sake of clarity and to help avoid confusion, when many folks think of momentum they think of the stride. I like hitters to NOT think of their stride (i.e., the "walk away from the hands", "forward and prepare to throw") as being for the sake of momentum ... that notion is pure LL-type thinking IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30