What do you do and how do you prepare for life after college softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
These are questions for players, as well as their softball-addicted parents, to think about before it ends all too quickly. Maybe helpful to consider even before committing to play college softball to provide long-term perspective.

Questions prompted by my current situation (DD was a 2016 grad) and the linked article I came across about the transition of Tufts remarkable pitcher from D3 All Everything to NPF rookie to retired NPF player to starting an engineering career.

Tufts Magazine / Spring 2016 "Allyson Fournier graduated last year as the greatest softball pitcher in Tufts history. Then she was thrown a curveball: adjusting to life on the sidelines"

Feel free to share your thoughts or experiences. My 2 cents follow.

To the best of my knowledge, DD hasn't picked up a ball and glove since we had our "last catch" on graduation day in May. Since then she's been fully consumed with trying to make a go of it as a scenic artist in NYC. It will be interesting to see how she handles her first spring without softball since age 6! Myself, I'm figuring out where I want to spend my leisure time - golf, hikes with the DW and dog, a salsa garden, and helping my 3 post-college kids relocate, settle in, and test the career waters has left relatively little down time, but I still have the jones for FP and am living vicariously through the dysfunctional DFP family. DD's FP SB resulted in my lifelong passion for baseball ultimately being transferred to FP softball as DD played Rec, TB, HS, and D3 while I coached (transitioned from HC to AC to just DD's coach and ultimately to parent with a video camera and DFP habit). The future could hold some umpiring or coaching, but for now I'm not sure I want to deal with the inevitable psychos! We shall see.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Well when my dd went away to college and we wound up home alone, after 2 months of coming home after work and saying "what are we doing tonight?" and having nothing planned. No volleyball, no basketball, no softball, no band... I thought about all of those things I said I would do if I had more time.

So I read more books, I go to the gym 3-4 days a week and I started backpacking.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am leaning towards hunting, fishing or golf....I suck at all 3, but can drink beer and smoke cigars while doing it!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I was coach and a PC before all 4 DD's started playing, so not see that changing. Will probably step down from coaching my TB team full time so I can work with multiple teams with regard to pitching and recruiting. Jake has expressed interest in playing internationally and doing clinics when she is done at SC, so who knows. :)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Not worried about it. We're still the parents. DD can either continue going to the park with me for front toss and fly balls 4x/week till death do us part, or she can have kids so I can torture them with my hitting theories. Her choice.

Oct 10, 2011
It's been weird the last few weeks without DD and I feel similar to how Chinamigarden did. I went out and bought the most expensive shoes I've ever bought for my wife and me to start exercising more, but she hasn't gotten into it, so it's mainly been beer, wine and MLB at night LOL.
We are planning on camping as much as possible like we used to and reconnecting with our friends. One thing for sure is that the house and yard look better than they have in 18 years!
That's all I have for now:\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish