Posing the question about the purpose of playing college softball….

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
So all of this discussion about the Alabama players going into the portal bring this question to the forefront of my mind. I’m not passing judgment, but am trying to understand better the intentions of players who want to play in college. Seeing posts stating that it’s a bad move for Fouts if she stays put and still wants to win a Championship spurred this question. Is having the chance to win the College World Series the main reason for players to attend college?

To me, it’s all about obtaining an education to increase one’s chances of being able to have a good career to support oneself for the rest of their life. If being able to obtain that education is easier and less costly through softball then obviously that’s a great perk. However, should the focus be the sport? Transferring to hopefully land on that Championship team. Potentially taking away college admission spots from other kids who truly only want to be at the school for the education?

I’m sure for those who want to stay involved in the sport as a coach or some other career related to SB post-college it can be a difference-maker being able to put WCWS champion on your resume. However, for the vast majority that is not and will not be an option, so what is the point of transferring at that point?

Just trying to gain a better understanding.

Feb 14, 2019
We'll probably never know the true motivations behind transfer decisions, but I can't help but think it's probably way more related to escaping the current atmosphere/culture for those athletes. Yes, there will be athletes who are looking to move up the competitive ladder by entering the portal but it seems that the majority are making lateral moves...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Possibly the transfer portal gives people some sense of authority over their own situation.

Reality it does not prove they are making the right decision. it does not prove they are leaving a bad situation. it is just an individual decision... that for some reason has a heightened sense of interest through social media like reality TV to the world. Hype value 🤷‍♀️

There are some bad situations at colleges. Pending the pressure of bad the transfer portal may be good.

The grass is not always greener. An old saying that sticks around because there is some truth to it.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
As to winning. #1
Is very important to some people!

Simply that not all programs have the same Stigmata and money some programs seem shinier than others.

Possibly in some people's minds that if you play for the best you will end up the best.

I am of the frame of mind that I always want to beat the best!
However this takes knowing that you may be the underdog stepping onto the field.

Being the underdog may not be as comfortable for others, than being shiny. 😎

Last edited:

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I do think sometimes it's more about softball, winning, and championships than an education. And maybe for those who have stellar college careers in the sport and move on to coach or some other type of occupation that softball is used as a springboard makes it worth it. Statistics, however, would state that the education is more important, in general, in helping these girls for the next 40 or so years during their career. Some people like to chase the outliers. For that one coach that makes bank coaching at their dream job, it'll be worth it. There will also be others living at home with their parents along with a dead end job because they concentrated too much on the sport versus the education.

Who am I to judge? I hope it works out for them.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
In my opinion, education should be the primary concern for most college athletes. I do understand that certain athletes (most notably football and men's basketball) may view college as a necessary step to get into professional sports. However, that opportunity is only available for a very small percentage of college athletes.

That said, a lot will also depend on the student's major. I have undergraduate and graduate degrees from separate universities. While I am happy with the education I received at both places, I'm quite confident I could have received similar degrees at other institutions and still be in the same professional position I am now.

Feb 7, 2014
If the education is so much more important than the softball than why not separate the two? I know my family wouldn't be any less involved with softball if it wasn't tied to a school.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm???
If actual dollar scholarship amounts were made public would that influence players decisions? All about the $$$$$$?
Or
Is this more of a grab for playing time?

As to Fouts staying where she's at.
Good for her! Whether their team establishes the crown again she will still probably alter the outcome of the conference...again!

Jun 8, 2016
Hmmm???
If actual dollar scholarship amounts were made public would that influence players decisions? All about the $$$$$$?
Or
I think $$$$ nowadays may have more to do with possible NIL money than scholarship dollars..??

Jul 5, 2016
Hmmm???
Or

As to Fouts staying where she's at.
Good for her! Whether their team establishes the crown again she will still probably alter the outcome of the conference...again!
Fouts can't do it alone. Alabama needs a couple of good arms with styles that complement Fouts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles