Posing the question about the purpose of playing college softball….

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
I would venture to say the players, parents and fans do care. I know all DD's former teammates playing at CNU care very much about winning their conference championship and now playing in the D3 World Series. (Go Captains!!). As fans of those girls who are close friends we absolutely care. I know for a fact many of the people we know from VWU who won the D3 World Series last year cared very much as well. FYI - both the fields at CNU as well as VWU are nicer than the mid major D1 my daughter is going to, lol. So I imagine the schools and boosters care also.....

I agree - and I’m glad that the people in this article cared years ago, as well!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I would venture to say the players, parents and fans do care. I know all DD's former teammates playing at CNU care very much about winning their conference championship and now playing in the D3 World Series. (Go Captains!!). As fans of those girls who are close friends we absolutely care. I know for a fact many of the people we know from VWU who won the D3 World Series last year cared very much as well. FYI - both the fields at CNU as well as VWU are nicer than the mid major D1 my daughter is going to, lol. So I imagine the schools and boosters care also.....
WPI gave CNU a little scare yesterday which was very surprising. DD's former TB teammate should be starting for TLU today. Ashlyn Strother. Looks like a weather delay.

Jun 8, 2016
WPI gave CNU a little scare yesterday which was very surprising. DD's former TB teammate should be starting for TLU today. Ashlyn Strother.
Wow..since when did WPI have a good softball team?

Edit: Ok went back and looked at their record over the last 10 years and it looks like they have been pretty good for a while..who knew.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013

Edit: Ok went back and looked at their record over the last 10 years and it looks like they have been pretty good for a while..who knew.

The last couple of years that I was the recruiting coordinator for DD’s TB team the coaches from WPI came to some of our games at NE Finest. They were always extremely interested in our players who were being recruited by D1 schools. I’m sure they were probably able to recruit a few players at that talent level who probably could have played Ivy or at a mid-major.

Jun 8, 2016
The last couple of years that I was the recruiting coordinator for DD’s TB team the coaches from WPI came to some of our games at NE Finest. They were always extremely interested in our players who were being recruited by D1 schools. I’m sure they were probably able to recruit a few players at that talent level who probably could have played Ivy or at a mid-major.
It is just kind of in a weird space academically. They don't have anything other than Engineering/Math/hard sciences (or they didn't last time I checked) but it isn't as prestigious as MIT so there isn't that draw. Worcester also isn't exactly the most umm, how should I put this, "pretty" town in the world. That said my sister went to Holy Cross and liked it so what do I know..

May 27, 2013
It is just kind of in a weird space academically. They don't have anything other than Engineering/Math/hard sciences (or they didn't last time I checked) but it isn't as prestigious as MIT so there isn't that draw. Worcester also isn't exactly the most umm, how should I put this, "pretty" town in the world. That said my sister went to Holy Cross and liked it so what do I know..

I think they do give a pretty good amount of merit money so I can see how some might be drawn to them.

Babson is similar. They had a very good year SB-wise and it is primarily just a business school.

Aug 6, 2013
WPI gave CNU a little scare yesterday which was very surprising. DD's former TB teammate should be starting for TLU today. Ashlyn Strother. Looks like a weather delay.
Actually just got an update that all games today are moved to tomorrow. The Hasty's are our neighbors. Kaitlyn just had an amazing year. We are just so happy for them and Kaitlyn's sister, Jacquelyn plays with Haley on her HS team as well as her travel team. Haley also played TB with 2 other girls from CNU as well.

Jun 8, 2016
I worked at NASA Langley for a summer in graduate school. Drove by CNU a few times..that was before having a little girl was even a thought in my mind so softball never crossed my mind..lol.

Funny story to how clueless I am sometimes. When I found I was going to work there I didn't bother getting lodging for the summer because I had a friend I was going to stay with...in Langley, VA :oops: Talk about scrambling at the last second when I found out where NASA Langley actually was...

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

Part of my heartburn with this particular conference and the NCAA D3 selection bias for the NE teams D3 teams. 3 teams got berths from the same conference and were sent to 3 different regionals. MIT, Babson and WPI. Meanwhile better teams in other conferences were not given berths.

WPI(very small roster) had to beat out Tufts--Good on them! Meanwhile 3 of the top teams in the country get sent to the same regional (Linfield, ETBU & Belhaven). AND...TLU gets a cupcake best 3 out of 5 series with only 2 teams. You mean you can find 2 teams to put in that regional? Just up the road is #11 ranked Mary Hardin Baylor. I have spoken to several coaches and they made sure to voice their dismay about the selection process with me.

I am sure there is some magical behind the scenes algorithmic selection process. D3 Illuminati.

But dems da breaks right?

Jun 8, 2016
Part of my heartburn with this particular conference and the NCAA D3 selection bias for the NE teams D3 teams. 3 teams got berths from the same conference and were sent to 3 different regionals. MIT, Babson and WPI. Meanwhile better teams in other conferences were not given berths.

WPI(very small roster) had to beat out Tufts--Good on them! Meanwhile 3 of the top teams in the country get sent to the same regional (Linfield, ETBU & Belhaven). AND...TLU gets a cupcake best 3 out of 5 series with only 2 teams. You mean you can find 2 teams to put in that regional? Just up the road is #11 ranked Mary Hardin Baylor. I have spoken to several coaches and they made sure to voice their dismay about the selection process with me.

I am sure there is some magical behind the scenes algorithmic selection process. D3 Illuminati.

But dems da breaks right?
Do you think the problem is at all related to low travel budgets for D3 schools?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles