What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Could the straightening of the front leg be a trigger to initiate the swing once at launch position?
Exactly! I think this is the high level swing launch position. They time the pitch at foot plant. Triggering from the hands gets the hands out front of the swing as disconnects the hands from the power. Setting up the swing to be triggered from the extension of the front leg, with all the slack taken out, keeps the hands connected to the power source.

Jun 8, 2016
Could the straightening of the front leg be a trigger to initiate the swing once at launch position?
jkG7HqO.gif

Trout's hands have already crossed his body by the time the front leg straightens.

Jul 29, 2013
jkG7HqO.gif

Trout's hands have already crossed his body by the time the front leg straightens.
It would be nice if you could pause the video at contact and post a still pic. This looks like and inside pitch that he adjusted to and it doesn't look like a home run or 100% swing. Pulling the hands through got him to contact at the expense of power. He disconnected from the power source.

Oct 2, 2017
Exactly! I think this is the high level swing launch position. They time the pitch at foot plant. Triggering from the hands gets the hands out front of the swing as disconnects the hands from the power. Setting up the swing to be triggered from the extension of the front leg, with all the slack taken out, keeps the hands connected to the power source.

This I'm not quite following

Jun 8, 2016
It would be nice if you could pause the video at contact and post a still pic. This looks like and inside pitch that he adjusted to and it doesn't look like a home run or 100% swing. Pulling the hands through got him to contact at the expense of power. He disconnected from the power source.
WriliDO.gif

8KN5Xeh.gif

h6iZ22Q.gif

I will say it again, the front leg straightening is nothing more than reaction to the force of the swing.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Still frames, please. I see all of them with their hands on their right side at contact, not even near their belly button. Nonetheless, it's not possible for you to have a bend in the back arm and a straight front arm and get your hands past the center of you body.

Jun 8, 2016
In the above swings the leg straightens either right before contact (Trout, Betts and Cabrera) or after in the case of Hugo. You don't need stills to see that. I don't know of anybody who says swing initiation is near contact, or even better, after contact...

May 12, 2016
Love the Hugo swing, really shows the ability to adapt to an off speed pitch when proper mechanics are executed. You can see she expected a fastball, but then reacted to the change up, all because of a controlled sequence and not releasing her backside too early.. great poise at the plate

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45