What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2017
Or this.....

Attachments

• GlamorousEthicalAmericanriverotter-size_restricted.gif
    GlamorousEthicalAmericanriverotter-size_restricted.gif
    204.8 KB · Views: 8
Jul 29, 2013
Let me reword what I was trying to say. The leverage created off the back foot creates a force that creates hips popping/snap as the front foot plants or the front leg extends. If my body is creating leverage off the book foot, then when my front foot plants the force created through the leverage off the backside snaps the hips against the front leg and straightens the front leg. The hips snap/pop against the front leg, front hip turns rearward.

Correct backside creates correct front side. Personally I struggled with a poor front side for years because of thinking the front side did most of the work.
Try turning your front foot toe toward the pitcher, positioning the knee joint so there is no side force when the leg is extended. Create a force that pushes the front hip rearward toward the catcher. This will complete the rotation of the hips and create tons of power.

May 12, 2016
Can't both of these actions happen in an effective swing. Rear leg driver and front leg supplementing the swing with power by acting the way Bobby is describing. I would like to think of the front leg as more than just a limb that accepts all the power from the backside. Or would that then classify the swing as being two legged which I know a lot of people frown at. For me personally, my dominant leg is my front leg. I would hate to think of it as just a "landing device", a dummy leg or something to just post up against.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Can't both of these actions happen in an effective swing. Rear leg driver and front leg supplementing the swing with power by acting the way Bobby is describing. I would like to think of the front leg as more than just a limb that accepts all the power from the backside. Or would that then classify the swing as being two legged which I know a lot of people frown at. For me personally, my dominant leg is my front leg. I would hate to think of it as just a "landing device", a dummy leg or something to just post up against.
I think the weight is transfered to the rear leg when the front leg is lifted. But the center of gravity stays forward and should be moving forward. The momentum is transferred to the front leg and through the muscle spindles reaction when they are stretched, the front leg generates even more power than if there was no weight shift or momentum created. The movement must be a controlled move from back leg to front leg to time the pitch. If the back leg gets extended, there's a chance that the hitter gets over his front side and the momentum can't be transferred up the chain.
Now think about the action of the back leg. What muscles/ movements are used to create the lateral move and turn and are they moving in explosive ways or are they behaving in a controlled /methodical manner?

Compare to the front leg muscles, movements, and manner?

The answers to these questions are what cause me to say that the front leg actions are much more critical to the hip turn of the high level hitter.

Jul 30, 2018
Bobby Bobby Bobby , Front leg generates power????

Are you really going to continue with this.

There are people who come here to help their kids, I feel I would be doing them a disservice if I didn't tell them not to listen to any of your philosophy in regards to hitting.

So here it goes.

Don't listen to this guy! ^^^^^

May 12, 2016
Bobby Bobby Bobby , Front leg generates power????

Are you really going to continue with this.

There are people who come here to help their kids, I feel I would be doing them a disservice if I didn't tell them not to listen to any of your philosophy in regards to hitting.

So here it goes.

Don't listen to this guy! ^^^^^
You seem to be very flippant about a lot of things and opinions. Please go ahead and drop some knowledge.

Oct 2, 2017
From my limited opinion, I look at it like this. The front leg gets bent to a degree because its storing energy created by the back side during FBC. At a certain point of storing energy it, unloads or dissipates that energy by straightening. At this moment this energy aids in turning the hips or pelvis into contact. Just my two cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00