What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Well technically there is no "weight" (actually pressure) on the front foot until foot strike but yes after that the foot pressure will continually increase. In a good swing, imo, the pressure will see a large jump shortly after swing launch which is what eventually causes the front leg to straighten.
Then is that pressure passive or active

Jun 8, 2016
Then is that pressure passive or active
I would say for the most part one isn't actively using the leg muscles to push into the ground and create the pressure on the foot. I am sure that in cases where timing is off that might happen some but most of the pressure is due to the load created by the swing action being transmitted through the leg into the ground and then what the foot feels is the ground reaction pressure. That is what I feel and what I see in good swings (not that those two things are the same.. :LOL: ) Like I said, the fact that the leg straightens at a point when the swing is almost over signals to me that good hitters are not actively pushing to create power. If they were, the straightening would occur much earlier in the swing process as an active push from the muscles close to the ground would cause an almost simultaneous straightening of the leg as the load path would be very short.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
I would say for the most part one isn't actively using the leg muscles to push into the ground and create the pressure on the foot. I am sure that in cases where timing is off that might happen some but most of the pressure is due to the load created by the swing action being transmitted through the leg into the ground and then what the foot feels is the ground reaction pressure. That is what I feel and what I see in good swings (not that those two things are the same.. :LOL: ) Like I said, the fact that the leg straightens at a point when the swing is almost over signals to me that good hitters are not actively pushing to create power. If they were, the straightening would occur much earlier in the swing process as an active push from the muscles close to the ground would cause an almost simultaneous straightening of the leg as the load path would be very short.

I think we are in agreement. Its basically what I saying in post #199. The front leg is storing energy created by the backside, which at a certain unloads that energy by straightening out.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
JessBrooke.gif

From my limited opinion, I look at it like this. The front leg gets bent to a degree because its storing energy created by the back side during FBC. At a certain point of storing energy it, unloads or dissipates that energy by straightening. At this moment this energy aids in turning the hips or pelvis into contact. Just my two cents.
What you are 'saying' is on the left...............................................What I am 'saying' is on the right..

Oct 2, 2017
JessBrooke.gif

What you are 'saying' is on the left...............................................What I am 'saying' is on the right..

I'm not seeing how you can make that correlation, all your basically doing is saying "See the one on the right looks better so, I'm right." What I'm saying still applies to the one on the right and left. The difference between these 2 swings, is that the player on the left is not maintaining separation into foot plant. She slots mid air. She doesn't maintain posture either. The one on the right still unloads the back leg. You cannot get on to the toe of the rear leg without it unloading. How long a player is going to store energy onto the front is variable based on timing. I would like add also that I'm not advocating that all the power comes from the front side only.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"
High level hitters are one-legged, meaning the vast majority of their weight is in/over their rear leg AT LAUNCH. Their lead leg is on the ground. It supplies balance. But it has no significant weight on it at launch. It has no real function in the swing other than to 'catch' the swing so you don't fall over as a result of the momentum created. In the act of 'catching' the swing, the lead leg will provide a 'block' so that the energy created continues around the rear leg and into contact rather than bleeding forward linearly. But it does not actively push back. It blocks.
"

This describes Barry Bonds swing (and a few others) but is not what I would teach at 12 y/o girl. BB was juiced up very large man and his swing IMO is not the GOAT swing. Lots of different swings getting the job done. I like JD Martinez swing (kinda a hybrid between one and two legged) Here another thing to consider. The same player may appear one legged on an inside fastball and then look two legged on an offspeed pitch. Hittin is hard. When they take batting practice that is their intended swing.

Jul 29, 2013
Well technically there is no "weight" (actually pressure) on the front foot until foot strike but yes after that the foot pressure will continually increase. In a good swing, imo, the pressure will see a large jump shortly after swing launch which is what eventually causes the front leg to straighten.
What you're saying makes no sense.....loading the front leg makes it reactively straighten? If that were the case then let's load it more and it will really straighten, maybe 3 or 400 lbs? How about 500 or 600 lbs? The legs would straighten and shoot that weight into orbit!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
JessBrooke.gif

I see the girl on the left launching quickly from her left leg onto her front leg.
I also see the girl on the right striding slowly against a bent front leg that rapidly extends and forcing her front hip rearward and yanking the rest of her body around resulting in a much faster bat.

Jul 29, 2013
Please define what "swing action" is. Also define "ground reaction pressure."
Finally, what muscles "close to the ground" are you referring to?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi