What age to start throwing from knees?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Come on Rad..while technically true, since the distances (to both run and throw) are larger in MLB that really isn't a fair statement. You would need to scale things in order to make any true comparisons.
True scale difference. Also different throwing speeds
sb vs. bb
While could throw a sb 70.
Could throw a bb 90.
*Add~just pointing out the ball isnt thrown the same speeds.
Yet people still use bb to compare dont they ;)
Sooo i did ! ZAP !

Still the point of speed of play is relevant!

What is a bit silly....is for people to not take into consideration
the extra time involved going to knees and trying to jump to feet.

Those that choose to ignore facts of the importance throwing from knees is to the catching requirement are staying really small minded.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Have catchers who are 13 breaking 2.0 pop times.
1.7 at age 16 !!!

Hillarious that this compairison is developing youngsters to full grown mlb players...

Screenshot_2020-08-31-07-45-43-1.png

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Have catchers who are 13 breaking 2.0 pop times.
1.7 at age 16 !!!

LUV this compairison of a 13yr old girl to a full grown man in the mlb.

View attachment 19102View attachment 19102
Not understanding what point you are trying to make here. Are you telling me if you took an average MLB catcher and had him throw a 12" softball on a FP diamond his pop time wouldn't be as good as your 13 YO catcher..come on now Rad..

With regards to the question whether it is better to throw from the knees or not I am going to say it depends.... :LOL:

May 23, 2015
Every starter in MLB has a sub 2 sec game time pop.

If you threw a baseball 90mph you're in the top half percent of everyone on earth. You shouldn't be playing SB you should've been on the big. Im not calling BS im suggesting whoever owned the gun needed a new fork.

May 6, 2015
That's a ridiculous statement. Clearly you know neither. I shouldn't bother but here goes.

Whats the time margin of safe to out in both sports? MLB is about a quarter of a second
actually makes perfect sense that FP needs faster pop times, shorter throw by 33% (85 feet vs 127 ft)

remember, that is the point, velocity vs pop time is measuring two different things. no one is saying that the 14u TB catcher is throwing with more velocity than MLB catchers. the ball is reaching 2B in lesss time though.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
What is a bit silly....is for people to not take into consideration
the extra time involved going to knees and trying to jump to feet.
Those that choose to ignore facts of the importance throwing from knees is to the catching requirement are staying really small minded.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
Velocity is everything dont kid yourself.
A properly trained catcher can gain 5 to 6 feet of ground in their sleep while on their feet. You cant do that on your knees.

this is just wrong in several ways. no way those 2-4 steps they are taking to launch is moving towards 2B as fast as the throw. if it was, why not simply run the ball to 2B.

DD reliable throws out BR, usually one per game, usually one of first one or two BR, then the opposing coach having tested her gets much more selective in sending runners. she does not have the most velocity, but she throws out the BR with great transition and accuracy.

May 23, 2015
actually makes perfect sense that FP needs faster pop times, shorter throw by 33% (85 feet vs 127 ft)

That means nothing. Softball flies slower and the runners slower running shorter bases. In baseball the ball flies faster, the runners are faster, and the bases are longer. Both games are measured perfectly.

May 6, 2015
You are right throwing from the knees is not best practice. The data shows it's actually slower when throwing from the knees to second base.

I definitely wouldn't be teaching sub-optimal catching techniques to 10-12 year olds....focus on best practices that will help the catcher and the team during a game.
might not be slower if you are already on your knees for a block or because pitch fooled you, you and the P got crossed up, etc.

RAD is basically saying it is situational and dependent on the catcher behin the plate. personally, DD generally does not throw from her knees, but she knows if she had to block, it is the only chance really. with a decently fast runner, who is straight stealing from the get go (not going on the bobble), I would like to see video of a C blocking, then rising to her feet and getting the runner. never seen it happen myself.

May 23, 2015
this is just wrong in several ways. no way those 2-4 steps they are taking to launch is moving towards 2B as fast as the throw. if it was, why not simply run the ball to 2B.
It's not wrong its right. Properly trained catchers will gain ground while transferring the ball. Its free. Secondly the energy going forward is then transferred into the ball. Physics 101.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi