What age to start throwing from knees?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes. Which ball travel speeds are faster knees or feet?
Post #13 commented on that.

Also while throwing speed is important. Mechanics can also be important in how efficient (speedy and fluent) they are or not.
Includes transition speed.

Notice good mechanics and transition speed help makes average throwing speeds more affective for quicker plays.

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
Post #13 commented on that.

Also while throwing speed is important. Mechanics can also be important in how efficient (speedy and fluent) they are or not.
Includes transition speed.

Notice mechanics and transistion speed help makes average throwing speeds more of affective for quicker plays.
Absolutely agree I caught a lot of years. Well over a decade. Still trying to hash out whats more efficient which is ultimately faster

Travel speed is significantly slower from the knees. Ive asked the "the group" that sells the idea and videos on several occasions and got nada

If you're athletic there's no advantage speed or otherwise to throwing from your knees. 1st being a slight exception. Maybe. If there were an advantage it would be done by all at the highest level of catching

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Absolutely agree I caught a lot of years. Well over a decade. Still trying to hash out whats more efficient which is ultimately faster

Travel speed is significantly slower from the knees. Ive asked the "the group" that sells the idea and videos on several occasions and got nada

If you're athletic there's no advantage speed or otherwise to throwing from your knees. 1st being a slight exception. Maybe. If there were an advantage it would be done by all at the highest level of catching
Kinda makes me chuckle that anyone would think going to knees for a dirt pitch....to then...having to get up to thier feet to throw... doesnt take more time. Heck yes it takes more time!
It simply is NOT as efficient as being able to throw from knees.
Dirt pitches still require the catcher to control the runners!!! Including back picks!

Throwing from knees
is used in highest levels
And mechanically it is fast.
Smaller pivot radius.
Still using larger and small muscles groups.

There are different mechanics to use.
And would agree certain mechanics are imo terrible.
However,
There are successful mechanics that throwing speeds break the 70 mph mark from knees.
Commonly have catchers throwing over 65 mph from knees.
Without any doubt throwing speeds are equivalent and NOT significantly slower!

*The pop time 'time saving' from throwing vs. from feet to knees mechanics can be
.2 to .3 tenths of a second faster from knee's!

Remember this is regarding different age levels!

:) Appreciate the Opportunities to share about the Possibilities in softball!

GO CATCHERS ! 👍

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
Kinda makes me chuckle that anyone would think going to knees for a dirt pitch....to then...having to get up to thier feet to throw... doesnt take more time. Heck yes it takes more time!
It simply is NOT as efficient as being able to throw from knees.
Dirt pitches still require the catcher to control the runners!!! Including back picks!

Throwing from knees
is used in highest levels
And mechanically it is fast.
Smaller pivot radius.
Still using larger and small muscles groups.

There are different mechanics to use.
And would agree certain mechanics are imo terrible.
However,
There are successful mechanics that throwing speeds break the 70 mph mark from knees.
Commonly have catchers throwing over 65 mph from knees.
Without any doubt throwing speeds are equivalent and NOT significantly slower!

*The pop time 'time saving' from throwing from feet to knees mechanics can be
.2 to .3 tenths of a second faster from knee's!

Remember this is regarding different age levels!

:) Appreciate the Opportunities to share about the Possibilities in softball!

GO CATCHERS ! 👍
So why go all chatroom ask my why I thought it was slow then try to correct me? Makes no sense

When I see tangible hard evidence where there's even the slightest advantage to throwing a runner out from the knees i assure you I'll change my view. My reputation is at stake. As of today I see nothing supporting that view. Maybe a few scattered anecdotes on the interweb from strangers but I can't put a players livelihood on the line and risk injury for a net loss

radness

Dec 13, 2019
So why go all chatroom

When I see tangible hard evidence where there's even the slightest advantage to throwing a runner out from the knees i assure you I'll change my view. My reputation is at stake. As of today I see nothing supporting that view. Maybe a few scattered anecdotes on the interweb from strangers but I can't put a players livelihood on the line and risk injury for a net loss
Chatting in a chatroom.
Simply asked a question.
Opens up conversation.
Here to share experience and experiences!

GO CATCHERS !

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
At what age would you start teaching throwing from the knees? Is 10 and 12u too young?
Just sharing this happened...
for ENCOURAGEMENT:)
Today received a text from
the mom of a 12 yr. old student.
At the tourny in Utah this weekend.
Threw out, from her knees, a runner trying to steal 2nd. She has gotten several at 3rd in the recent past. And a few at 2nd. Getting more & more comfortable every game with the attack from knee/knees.
Great job 'A' !

The green light is on !
Heres to firing it 👍 ZAP !

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
Just sharing this happened...
for ENCOURAGEMENT:)
Today received a text from
the mom of a 12 yr. old student.
At the tourny in Utah this weekend.
Threw out, from her knees, a runner trying to steal 2nd. She has gotten several at 3rd in the recent past. And a few at 2nd. Getting more & more comfortable every game with the attack from knee/knees.
Great job 'A' !

The green light is on !
Heres to firing it 👍 ZAP !

What made me think of this, was watching my older daughters team play, we have one catcher that is a pretty strong 11year old, was pondering weather or not i should casually suggest she give it a try or not... part of me thinks it might benefit her and she may take to it, part of me thinks, not my circus not my monkeys lol. Also, I may be coaching my younger girls 10u team next year, mostly first year 10 girls is probably a little young.

Mar 13, 2017
What made me think of this, was watching my older daughters team play, we have one catcher that is a pretty strong 11year old, was pondering weather or not i should casually suggest she give it a try or not... part of me thinks it might benefit her and she may take to it, part of me thinks, not my circus not my monkeys lol. Also, I may be coaching my younger girls 10u team next year, mostly first year 10 girls is probably a little young.
I start teaching my catchers knee throws as soon as they have efficient arm path movements.

I will tell you from my extremely anecdotal experience what I notice is that throwing from knees may be faster but I see slight loss in throwing velocity. Now I’m a big fan of teaching the entire toolset and leaving the in game decisions to each catcher. A girl May prefer throwing from a standing position but why would you stand up after blocking a ball. A girl may prefer throwing from her knees but why would you drop to your knees on a pitch high in the zone.

teach them the different tools different arm slots and let them be athletic and explore those movements themselves.
@RADcatcher
@625ender

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812