What age to start throwing from knees?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
In baseball you are worried about the time it takes the pitcher to get the ball to the plate. Then maybe you can outrun the guns. Find the techniques interesting.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I would like to see video of a C blocking, then rising to her feet and getting the runner. never seen it happen myself.
That is being in a tough situation to expect good results doing that !
Takes scrambling for sure!

Catching would also field dirt pitches from my feet and go into throw. (no knees)
Wild pitches, especially dirt to the sides,
trigger runners taking off.

Catcher uses lateral foot/leg work , get to the ball , field and fire! Extreme infielders!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I haven't measured her on a field throwing full distance to 2B, but in a recent cage session, my DD was pretty consistently about 0.2 sec faster from catch to release from her knees than from her feet. Her velocity is a little better (not much, by eyeball radar) from her feet, but the slower release time evens things out a bit.

(Video sync'd to catch)

My advice to my DD has always been to have all the tools, and use whatever is best for the game situation.

Maddie started working on her knee throws around 10yo (a lot of focus on proper body movements and correct sequence), but they really didn't become part of her game until about 12yo. Overall, she prefers throwing from her feet.

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
I haven't measured her on a field throwing full distance to 2B, but in a recent cage session, my DD was pretty consistently about 0.2 sec faster from catch to release from her knees than from her feet. Her velocity is a little better (not much, by eyeball radar) from her feet, but the slower release time evens things out a bit.

(Video sync'd to catch)

My advice to my DD has always been to have all the tools, and use whatever is best for the game situation.

Maddie started working on her knee throws around 10yo (a lot of focus on proper body movements and correct sequence), but they really didn't become part of her game until about 12yo. Overall, she prefers throwing from her feet.

She looks great. Nice work. Gain a little more ground from her feet and shorten up the throwing path and shes on it.
Notice her peek when throwing from her feet and she doesn't from her knees. Pay attention to that but don't let her know.

I'll bet shes a great student.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She looks great. Nice work. Gain a little more ground from her feet and shorten up the throwing path and shes on it.
Notice her peek when throwing from her feet and she doesn't from her knees. Pay attention to that but don't let her know.

I'll bet shes a great student.

Thank you for your kind words. She's a very good student...

...when it's not me teaching - LOL.

Gaining ground with the feet ONLY makes sense if it doesn't take longer to get rid of the ball. The feet cannot move the ball towards 2B faster than a 60+ mph throw. Not even close.

May 23, 2015
Thank you for your kind words. She's a very good student...

I can instantly tell. Shes a perfectionist. Tell her to get that siliness out of her noggin when she's catching. Check out these screen shots. First and foremost understand I'm not critiquing. I dont kkow her just looking at the video. Watch her peek at the ball and pull it after . She wants to be perfect and it slows her down. Her head is too loud

Screenshot_20200831-140419_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200831-140435_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200831-140455_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200831-140626_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200831-140646_Chrome.jpg

May 23, 2015
The feet cannot move the ball towards 2B faster than a 60+ mph throw. Not even close.
Correct however if she can gain 6in on transfer thats to her benefit. Gain a foot and its a huge win. Ive worked with catchers who added 3 ft. You also get the added benefit of forward momentum. That side momentum is a leak'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi