Becoming a pitcher only?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
For the people that have girls that are pitchers only, at what age did this happen? Did she get to bat, if so only when she pitched or even when she didn't? How did or has it worked out, do you regret letting it happen? I have seen this happen at a fairly young age and am just curious especially at the highest levels of TB at what age this becomes a common practice.

Jun 20, 2015
part of it is if the pitcher can actually be a productive hitter. Some can, some are lost.

Assuming she can actually hit... Is her value as a pitcher outweighing potential injury on the bases, at the plate, etc? I've seen many HS teams have their season implode because their only pitcher, just got hurt running the bases. Yet, others pitcher was best hitter and athlete on the squad and all worked fine.

And it can potentially get very cut throat in college. up and in takes on a whole new meaning if it's chin music to your best pitcher in game one of a play off series.

May 13, 2021
part of it is if the pitcher can actually be a productive hitter. Some can, some are lost.

Assuming she can actually hit... Is her value as a pitcher outweighing potential injury on the bases, at the plate, etc? I've seen many HS teams have their season implode because their only pitcher, just got hurt running the bases. Yet, others pitcher was best hitter and athlete on the squad and all worked fine.

And it can potentially get very cut throat in college. up and in takes on a whole new meaning if it's chin music to your best pitcher in game one of a play off series.
I understand it all depends on the situation, and the specific skills of each pitcher. I am just looking for real world experiences and at what ages these are are occurring.

Jul 22, 2015
I would resist becoming a PO unless it is truly the only part of the game that a girl enjoys. You just never know what may happen and/or what opportunities may open up when a player is as versatile as possible. I certainly wouldn't even consider it until a girl was 16 or older. Just as an example, my dd was definitely most talented as a pitcher, but enjoyed all aspects of the game. She had an elbow nerve injury that required surgery and just never allowed her to regain a feel for her pitches. She always dreamed of pitching in college, but her work on other aspects of her game still allowed her to receive a scholarship as a 1B/OF.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For the people that have girls that are pitchers only, at what age did this happen? Did she get to bat, if so only when she pitched or even when she didn't? How did or has it worked out, do you regret letting it happen? I have seen this happen at a fairly young age and am just curious especially at the highest levels of TB at what age this becomes a common practice.
My DD was a very good pitcher. She was a good batter.

My DD became a pitcher only at 13YOA, mainly because she pitched almost every game in TB. Around 16YOA, she batted some.

She batted a few games in college. In her last at bat, she hit a double, rounded 2B, and the SS tripped her. The coaches didn't want to risk losing her.

A short explanation:

It's mainly about not enough hours in a day.

At high levels of play, good hitters work just as hard and just as long as pitchers. For your DD to be on par with those hitters, she has to work as hard as the other hitters.

For good reason, most kids aren't wiling to abandon their social life for softball.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter has been a PO since her second year of 16U for travel ball. This was an organizational decision that no pitchers hit after 14U, not a personal one, and my daughter hated it. She still hits for her HS team and is easily the best hitter on the team. In hindsight, going to that team was a huge mistake because the organization head was so steadfast in his ways that it dripped into his other decisions, but that's a discussion for another thread.

She throws or takes lessons four days a week but only has time to hit 2-3 times per week. If given a fair shot, I have no doubt she'd be a great hitter, but the last year and a half set her back since she didn't face top pitching.

May 13, 2021
My DD was a very good pitcher. She was a good batter.

My DD became a pitcher only at 13YOA, mainly because she pitched almost every game in TB. Around 16YOA, she batted some.

She batted a few games in college. In her last at bat, she hit a double, rounded 2B, and the SS tripped her. The coaches didn't want to risk losing her.

A short explanation:

It's mainly about not enough hours in a day.

At high levels of play, good hitters work just as hard and just as long as pitchers. For your DD to be on par with those hitters, she has to work as hard as the other hitters.

For good reason, most kids aren't wiling to abandon their social life for softball.
I know it is happening in 12u where girls are PO and get to bat, but not run bases. I have also heard of a couple girls in this situation 2nd year 10u. I feel that is not very common at that age, however I do feel that 2nd year 12u is becoming more common and for sure common when they get to 14u.

May 27, 2013
If a player wants to become a PO and isn’t forced to do it, then I don’t take issue with that. When coaches think they know best and push it on a player is what I disagree with. I just don’t get limiting a player at the younger ages. What if they get to HS and there is another top pitcher who will start over them? Will they be ok with sitting the bench if they can’t hit or play another position?

I just like for players to have options and to decide for themselves when to drop the hitting aspect of their game.

Oct 4, 2018
Great question, and it's always on our minds as parents of a pitcher.

For most everyone, hitting is the more fun part of the game. Most all pitchers I know want to hit. And yes, it comes down to being one of the best 9 hitters on the team, and if you are, you almost always get to hit.

My DD's team has some of the best pitchers in our area. And they all get to hit. I think if anyone other than the girl decided they would be PO that family would leave the team and easily find one that would let them do both.

Jun 11, 2013
To me it's an issue of what you want out of softball. If college is what you really want and you think you can't make it as a hitter then try and be a P only. However if you really love playing hitting is so much fun. I wasn't a P but if I couldn't hit I wouldn't have played BB. I do know a kid who was a dominant 10U and 12U P. She blew people away and at one point wanted to become a P only. She stuck with hitting and wound up playing D2 as a hitter not a P.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles