What’s the benefit in changing names?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
I do talk to a lot of parents who think their daughter's team is amazing based on their limited view of the softball world. Sometimes I try to kindly explain things, most times I don't.

Amen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
We joined an EC Bullets team two years ago when there were only 2-3 in the 12U age in Georgia. Now there are 10 or so.

The rumor is the head of the Org has two daughters that are finally now off playing in college. So he went from being an exclusive org that you had to mostly be invited to join to now if you have the money you can join. Costs $3,000 to use the name and have the right to buy their exclusive uniforms at their exclusively high prices. I can't blame him -- he did it for his girls, built the brand for a decade. Now he's cashing out.

It used to be you showed up at a tourney and feared the Bullets. Now I see some with pretty bad teams, bad records, etc. The brand has certainly tarnished.

I do fear that's happening in the SouthEast with Lady Dukes and Thunderbolts as well. Tons of new teams have sprung up in those Orgs near Atlanta and most aren't as good as what they were a few years ago.
An Org's brand/reputation isn't established by the worst teams... it's established by the best, and how many players they are sending to the next level.

For example... EC Bullets sent 93 2021 players to college teams this year. I think you will find this stacks up very well with other "National" Orgs.

The Bullets CEO/Owner's kids have been out of softball for 15 or more years now.

Jul 19, 2021
An Org's brand/reputation isn't established by the worst teams... it's established by the best, and how many players they are sending to the next level.
I'm going to disagree. Their brand is definitely established by ALL of the team in the org. The Bombers have expanded like crazy over the last few years and they no longer have the cache' attached to their name like they used to in Texas. In the past if someone told you their kid played for the Bombers, you immediately knew they were a stud. Now you have to ask "Which team" in order to know whether they are a stud or just financing the teams with the studs.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm going to disagree. Their brand is definitely established by ALL of the team in the org. The Bombers have expanded like crazy over the last few years and they no longer have the cache' attached to their name like they used to in Texas. In the past if someone told you their kid played for the Bombers, you immediately knew they were a stud. Now you have to ask "Which team" in order to know whether they are a stud or just financing the teams with the studs.
I would agree with this. I think orgs that expand outside of their original area have a really hard time doing quality control (if they even care to..) on those teams not in their original region.

Apr 20, 2015

Agreed…lady dukes is another that has expanded and has a LOT of mediocrity in their expansion. They definitely have some national level teams but they also have some barely B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018

I'm with you.

We shrug off those teams now, and the reputation has taken a big, big hit. Girls and families don't want to play for them at the younger ages as much as they used to. And that will hurt them in very short order.

We have a friend who jumped to join an EC Bullets team. They were 5-50 on the season. We get more wins in a weekend than they get all Spring/Summer. I'm stunned they're allowed to stay with the Org. And while it's not all about winning, one should consider the girls' confidence and love of the game and not lose almost every game they play.

[EDIT] - No doubt there are still many great EC Bullets teams. For certain. But yes, at the younger ages you need to check which team before you set your starting lineup.

May 16, 2016
Bombers sent 86 kids to play college ball in the 2021 class... That is a pretty strong class.

Seems their reputation with college coaches is just fine...

Jul 19, 2021
Bombers sent 86 kids to play college ball in the 2021 class... That is a pretty strong class.

I believe it's much more nuanced than that.

You think it's a simple as "X number of kids sent to colleges = value of the brand". I and others disagree.

And no one said their brand isn't "fine". We're saying the brand is not as strong and admired as it used to be before they started taking on teams like crazy. You can't possibly think that quality doesn't suffer when an organization commits to quantity Do you think WalMart's brand is admired as much as Nordstrom?

Jun 8, 2016
I believe it's much more nuanced than that.

You think it's a simple as "X number of kids sent to colleges = value of the brand". I and others disagree.

And no one said their brand isn't "fine". We're saying the brand is not as strong and admired as it used to be before they started taking on teams like crazy. You can't possibly think that quality doesn't suffer when an organization commits to quantity? Do you think WalMart's brand is admired as much as Nordstrom?
I guess the question is nowadays how many of the well known orgs in the country only have top flight teams? 5? 10?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

I'd be more curious to know the percentage of kids rather than the number that get committed. IME a smaller org will typically get 100% commitment rate. The other thing is Scott is does not have one on one knowledge of his players like he used to unless they are one of the Academy teams. I like Scott and respect what is doing and he also is an asst coach TLU college team I also respect more the program which has a manageable number of teams and actually helps their kids get committed.

Another number which I believe would be a very valuable stat for all teams to track, but who's gonna do it. How many kids play for 4 years and graduate? Lots of variables that have more to do with the player finding the best fit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs