What’s the benefit in changing names?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Here is another point to be made generally at tournaments and showcasing events your travel ball coach will be on the field with your team. Yes there are a few travel ball coaches who will step off the field to go chit chat with colleges that may be watching. However those conversations are just a meet and greet handshake usually. Especially if there is no previous connections with the college and player who contacted the college having interest with one player who emailed.

The most important thing a travel ball coach can do is have a schedule that is correctly in line with the real talent level and academic level of the players.

The travel ball schedule should be in line with the goal of the players. Not a schedule where a coach thinks if they get their average players in front of any college coach that any coach wants them.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Here is another tip if you are uncertain of the actual talent level your daughter may be participating in. Go watch Alliance or pgf Nationals final day of games.

Many times people have an eye Awakening experience when they go watch softball that is outside of their comfort Circle they have been in.

Understandably it is hard to navigate all of softball and what it has in it. Sometimes the hardest part is to be realistic about what individual goals are. And generally travel ball coaches can be enthusiastic about something but if they haven't navigated it before and there is no map to help them navigate this is why I say coaches experience at this point in the journey Can Be Effective and helpful guidance.
( Plus at least a few connections)

Feb 24, 2022
This is a lie. Maybe only true for the top 1% of players. Please do not believe this. Lots of families thought if they sit on their hands, join the right team, play on the right fields that coaches would be falling over themselves to commit their DD's. I personally know lots of very talented players that did not do the work who ended up quitting or not going to the school they hoped for. They waited too long!

Do the work early to get on the coaches radar. Why? Because every other talented player is already doing it. and they will be first in line.
I should have phrased that better - I did not mean that players/families don't have to do any work. Quite the opposite - I meant that there is opportunity to get exposed to coaches outside of having to be on a "top" name team. Girls can attend college camps, interact on social media with teams/coaches, put together their own highlights, etc.

Jun 8, 2016
I should have phrased that better - I did not mean that players/families don't have to do any work. Quite the opposite - I meant that there is opportunity to get exposed to coaches outside of having to be on a "top" name team. Girls can attend college camps, interact on social media with teams/coaches, put together their own highlights, etc.
Agreed but at some point coaches are going to want to see them play against a level of competition which
is comparable to what they will face if they play for them. If your team allows for this, despite not being a big name, then you are going to be ok in general.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Mike Bosch, pitching coach at U of Florida, told the parents at the recent camp we attended that they will find the best of the best by word of mouth. He then said it's extremely good practice to help yourself by putting yourself on their radar to help them find you.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
because his teams are playing on the main fields in Colorado and other teams in the area will end up at regional or state level showcases.
When a coach says something like their teams play on the main fields. Get more specific and ask exactly what fields. Exactly how many years they have attended that. And exactly what division they are playing in because for instance Colorado has different events.
Can play on the main fields at sparkler is nowhere near the same exposure playing on the main fields of power pool or IDT.

I'm of the opinion that if a player has the talent, coaches will find them (especially in the age of social media)
*What talent level
Is the specific detail that needs to be addressed on a travel ball schedule.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Mike Bosch, pitching coach at U of Florida, told the parents at the recent camp we attended that they will find the best of the best by word of mouth.
*Word of Mouth from people that are reliable sources.
Of which even trying to get Word of Mouth to a head coach of a college can be a very hard task.
Direct cell phone numbers are great
but those opportunities for a direct phone call are around 1%.

Not just social media/ travel ball coach / parenting Jibber Jabber.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Mike Bosch, pitching coach at U of Florida, told the parents at the recent camp we attended that they will find the best of the best by word of mouth. He then said it's extremely good practice to help yourself by putting yourself on their radar to help them find you.
Coaches are lazy in general. They don't have the time to chase down a player that has not expressed interest in their program.

Several years ago I was chatting with the coach who won the D3 championship. He said that we doesn't bother recruiting players until their Sr years...for the most part. He actually gets many recruits the Summer after they graduate HS. I was very surprised to hear this. Of course, DD's former TB teammate was recruited by him Fall of her Jr year, but she was a different case. She's an All American now.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Here is another tidbit

If you want an opportunity at specific colleges.
Initially One of the top questions college coaches ask is,
Have you been to our campus?

They asked this to see how invested a player and family are to the goal of their college.

Players that have already attended the colleges camp and has done the campus tour is one step ahead of a player who has not been to the college at all.

Oct 4, 2018
Here is another tip if you are uncertain of the actual talent level your daughter may be participating in. Go watch Alliance or pgf Nationals final day of games.

Many times people have an eye Awakening experience when they go watch softball that is outside of their comfort Circle they have been in.

Understandably it is hard to navigate all of softball and what it has in it. Sometimes the hardest part is to be realistic about what individual goals are. And generally travel ball coaches can be enthusiastic about something but if they haven't navigated it before and there is no map to help them navigate this is why I say coaches experience at this point in the journey Can Be Effective and helpful guidance.
( Plus at least a few connections)

I do talk to a lot of parents who think their daughter's team is amazing based on their limited view of the softball world. Sometimes I try to kindly explain things, most times I don't.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01