What’s the benefit in changing names?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Newtown Rock is a big org in the NE with a big track record of D1 commits. There are several others, but we compete with soccer and lacrosse for talent around here.
As for the SE, there are plenty. Tampa Mustangs, Georgia Impact, Birmingham Thunderbolts, EC Bullets. All have very good reputations and track records. I won't include the Lady Dukes because you're just wearing their jersey unless you play for Lamar.
I know the SE teams. I meant in terms of not having watered down teams.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I know the SE teams. I meant in terms of not having watered down teams.
I think the Mustangs have done a good job of not watering down their product. Maybe Mojo and Bolts? Georgia Impact has been expanding lately up north, so I wouldn't include them.

Jun 8, 2016
I think the Mustangs have done a good job of not watering down their product. Maybe Mojo and Bolts? Georgia Impact has been expanding lately up north, so I wouldn't include them.
@uncdrew said the Bolts have some mediocre teams in the younger age groups. I only know one GI team (08 Taylor) as a local kid went and pitched for them this Spring.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Newtown Rock is a big org in the NE with a big track record of D1 commits. There are several others, but we compete with soccer and lacrosse for talent around here.
As for the SE, there are plenty. Tampa Mustangs, Georgia Impact, Birmingham Thunderbolts, EC Bullets. All have very good reputations and track records. I won't include the Lady Dukes because you're just wearing their jersey unless you play for Lamar.

Yes - Newtown Rock always has a very good 18U Gold Team, same as PA Chaos. They also will typically have 2-3 other 18U teams that are ok to good, but their top will play at Boulder and PGF in CA in the top pools and usually do very well. NJ Gators used to have a top level Gold team, too. I imagine they are still pretty good - I just don’t follow them like I used to when dd used to play.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I think you missed my point. If a player plays for a very good program that has had many previous players play for specific college programs and they are already on a coach’s radar, it helps that college coach to know that the recruit is probably receiving good coaching, playing good competition, and has the skills to compete and succeed as a player in their program.

It is the reason why some TB teams are low-key considered “feeders” to specific college teams.
I did not miss your point.
( however do think you have ignored the point I made about the example of USA preps showcase)

Your comment that the reputation of a very good program and the college coaches following that team can make a difference. I agree that can happen, however the amount of teams that actually have that 'prestigious reputation' are much less than the many more teams that don't.

***along with that~
it is not the organization that has that prestigious reputation,
IT IS the specific names of coaches that HAVE REPUTATION within the organization.
( not all coaches in an organization have a good reputation or following. much less have no following)

That reputation will leave the organization when the coach does. As example from So Cal Athletics Briggs left and started Bengals and mercado left and started Mercado Athletics. They left so Cal Athletics leaving Richardson team that has no support or players coming from other prestigious coach teams within the organization because those coaches left.

** Now there are two other stronger organizations competing against So Cal Athletics and the college coaches are watching those organizations because they are watching what those coaches are doing.
However~
College coaches know the shuffle of travel ball coaches. Make no mistake college coaches are aware that from year to year does not mean travel ball coaches are going to produce the same Talent.
it's just not happening cuz things are so watered down. Talent is spread out.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
First hand feedback from coaches at USA preps showcases say that the travel ball coaches know they don't have an entire roster that colleges may be interested in but they have some players that colleges may be interested in. And it wouldn't matter what team those players played on it's just the Showcase of players that college coaches are looking at.
A giant Pond of fish to go fishing.

Do some travel ball coaches have some connections with college coaches that they talked with them. Yes that happens but any tb coach could have any assortment of those players at usa preps and the results would pretty much be the same!

That level of talent has the largest roster spots available in college. AKA below D1

May 27, 2013
I did not miss your point.
( however do think you have ignored the point I made about the example of USA preps showcase)

Your comment that the reputation of a very good program and the college coaches following that team can make a difference. I agree that can happen, however the amount of teams that actually have that 'prestigious reputation' are much less than the many more teams that don't.

***along with that~
it is not the organization that has that prestigious reputation,
IT IS the specific names of coaches that HAVE REPUTATION within the organization.
( not all coaches in an organization have a good reputation or following. much less have no following)

That reputation will leave the organization when the coach does. As example from So Cal Athletics Briggs left and started Bengals and mercado left and started Mercado Athletics. They left so Cal Athletics leaving Richardson team that has no support or players coming from other prestigious coach teams within the organization because those coaches left.

** Now there are two other stronger organizations competing against So Cal Athletics and the college coaches are watching those organizations because they are watching what those coaches are doing.
However~
College coaches know the shuffle of travel ball coaches. Make no mistake college coaches are aware that from year to year does not mean travel ball coaches are going to produce the same Talent.
it's just not happening cuz things are so watered down. Talent is spread out.

Didn’t comment on the USA Preps comment because I had never even heard of it.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Didn’t comment on the USA Preps comment because I had never even heard of it.
They came in to SoCal a few years back and found a niche because of the talent level compared to say pgf and Triple Crown in the area. USA preps filled a need for many!

Good chat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks