Better Competition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
With today’s news, PAC 10/12/4, whatever they are now, might not have a working phone line much longer
Very True. I'm behind the news cycle.

In two years you could have three power conferences and then everyone else.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

May 17, 2023
Transfers do not have to outnumber incoming freshman. They just need more in than out.
The top 100 recruits will always be recruited. The question is will transfers replace 1-2 of the incoming class from lower levels pushing those spots outside of power 5.
I have seen several players transfer from outside power to power 5. This was a much smaller number 5 years ago.

Would be very interesting to see the actual numbers on this. Yes there are plenty of players who transfer from a smaller school to a P5 each year because they are playing above the competition. Those stories get attention because they are someone who may help improve a team.

But there are also a LOT of P5 kids transferring out every single year (just look at softball portal on Twitter) because they just weren't getting to play much, decided they didn't like the coach, etc. Many of those moves don't get near the attention because they weren't key players.

My guess for P5:
Incoming Freshman > Graduating Seniors
Transfers In < Transfers Out

Sep 1, 2021
One thing I’ve found at 12-U PGF Nationals is that spin, location, and change of speed become way more important than speed. Girl who has arguably been the best 12-u pitcher in the country got rocked pretty hard in one game.

Which pitcher are you referring to?
Which of those was she lacking?

Feb 15, 2017
Would be very interesting to see the actual numbers on this. Yes there are plenty of players who transfer from a smaller school to a P5 each year because they are playing above the competition. Those stories get attention because they are someone who may help improve a team.

But there are also a LOT of P5 kids transferring out every single year (just look at softball portal on Twitter) because they just weren't getting to play much, decided they didn't like the coach, etc. Many of those moves don't get near the attention because they weren't key players.

My guess for P5:
Incoming Freshman > Graduating Seniors
Transfers In < Transfers Out
The majority of folks who enter the portal don't end up somewhere else. I read somewhere like over 60% don't end up somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2023
Which pitcher are you referring to?
Which of those was she lacking?
Girl came back and shut everybody else down, so maybe it was just that one team could really hit speed. Their one hitter is best I’ve seen at 12u. Or maybe the pitcher had an off day where the ball was flat.

May 17, 2023
Girl came back and shut everybody else down, so maybe it was just that one team could really hit speed. Their one hitter is best I’ve seen at 12u. Or maybe the pitcher had an off day where the ball was flat.

Assumed you were talking about the Bandits pitcher, but she has only thrown one game since Wed when got hit a little. Be very interesting who they start today with luxury of dropping one.

She has off the charts speed but also normally has good rise, curve, and drop.

Jan 1, 2023
Assumed you were talking about the Bandits pitcher, but she has only thrown one game since Wed when got hit a little. Be very interesting who they start today with luxury of dropping one.

She has off the charts speed but also normally has good rise, curve, and drop.
Yes, that is the one. That Powersurge team can hit. My DD pitched against them a couple innings the prior game before they played the Bandits, but came in after the game was basically over. Did a decent job allowing just 1 ER in 2IN. I wish my DD would have started against them as she was strong in bracket play: 2-0 2.21ERA .212BAA. Still likely wouldn’t have won, but would have been a good test.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles