Better Competition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Crazy scores, the Bolts 10u team has played 4 games combined score 53-2. That is bad softball, they get better competition than that playing local. I thought they wouldn't let you in this tournament unless you were pretty good.
Some qualify, the rest get invites to fill out the tourney. I don't feel like counting, but it looks like 90% Cali teams. Makes sense for 10U. No need to travel to Cali at that age level.

Jan 22, 2011
I'm pretty sure there are no 10u PGF qualifiers, and it is 100pct invite. I don't see any Batbusters 10u teams and only one Firecracker team at 10u PGF. There was a 10u Western Alliance tournament last week. Doing a quick look, I couldn't find any information on who played in the 10u Alliance championships.

Jun 8, 2016
Just play a nearby state USSSA National Championship for 10U unless you live in CA or wherever Alliance has theirs. TB is a long haul..Traveling across the country to find the “best competition” at 10U is stupid..To the OT, it doesn’t help with development enough to make it worth it at that age.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
One thing I learned from looking at the scores in the 10u division going on right now in CA, is that there are a some terrible teams playing in this tournament. Was better competition in the 10u division at the PGF that was held in TN couple months ago.

Seems plenty of local and "within a few hour's drive" teams enter all the biggest tourneys. Kind of a "let's see how we stack up". We run ruled several teams in the supplemental pool of the Sparkler. This was 14U - I was surprised. I thought every game would be a battle and that there was a good chance we might not win a single game.

May 17, 2023
Almost all P5 pitchers are on full rides.. or a better statement would be they are zero out of pocket.

Do you have anything to back this statement up? In a conversation with the HC of a P5 school near us this Summer she indicated one pitcher was on full scholarship and two other virtually full with stacking academic. But the other 5 were half or less. Maybe that is unique, but she gave impression most P5 schools were structured similarly.

She also addressed the portal question someone else brought up. Her thought was if they had a choice between a HS kid they were recruiting who could potentially make an impact for four years vs a kid who only has 1-3 years left (and had already decided they didn't like the fit at another university) talent being equal they preferred the former.

Now clearly if there is a specific need or disparity in talent, that's different. Her answer did surprise me.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Do you have anything to back this statement up? In a conversation with the HC of a P5 school near us this Summer she indicated one pitcher was on full scholarship and two other virtually full with stacking academic. But the other 5 were half or less. Maybe that is unique, but she gave impression most P5 schools were structured similarly.

She also addressed the portal question someone else brought up. Her thought was if they had a choice between a HS kid they were recruiting who could potentially make an impact for four years vs a kid who only has 1-3 years left (and had already decided they didn't like the fit at another university) talent being equal they preferred the former.

Now clearly if there is a specific need or disparity in talent, that's different. Her answer did surprise me.
The University of Georgia just picked up two pitchers from the portal who both have two years remaining. One was from NC, and the other from Clemson.

I believe the coach wasn't being truthful. I'll take a proven player any day of the week over a prospect, especially if my job depends on their performance.

Feb 15, 2017
The University of Georgia just picked up two pitchers from the portal who both have two years remaining. One was from NC, and the other from Clemson.

I believe the coach wasn't being truthful. I'll take a proven player any day of the week over a prospect, especially if my job depends on their performance.
Agreed, that's why you see so many grad pitchers going somewhere else and going to a better. Team. IIRC the pitcher going to Bama almost bea them and lost from a bunch of errors.

The downside to this is if you're a freshman or sophomore pitcher and not starting, there's a chance you won't pitch because a transfer is going to take your innings.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Agreed, that's why you see so many grad pitchers going somewhere else and going to a better. Team. IIRC the pitcher going to Bama almost bea them and lost from a bunch of errors.

The downside to this is if you're a freshman or sophomore pitcher and not starting, there's a chance you won't pitch because a transfer is going to take your innings.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
For my daughter's sake, I'm glad the 5th year players end after this year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles