Better Competition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
The University of Georgia just picked up two pitchers from the portal who both have two years remaining. One was from NC, and the other from Clemson.

I believe the coach wasn't being truthful. I'll take a proven player any day of the week over a prospect, especially if my job depends on their performance.

I think she was being 100% honest with her answer. If your thought was correct then transfers would far outnumber incoming freshmen at all P5 schools, and that simply isn't happening. It isn't for lack of players willing to transfer.

And I say this as someone who asked the question if P5 schools would basically look at smaller schools as their feeder system and only recruit the uber-talented HS players, while rest had to prove it first.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I think she was being 100% honest with her answer. If your thought was correct then transfers would far outnumber incoming freshmen at all P5 schools, and that simply isn't happening. It isn't for lack of players willing to transfer.

And I say this as someone who asked the question if P5 schools would basically look at smaller schools as their feeder system and only recruit the uber-talented HS players, while rest had to prove it first.
I'm sure in her mind she was being truthful. And given that the number of transfers is smaller than the rate of attrition every year, of course they still have to take incoming freshman.

I'm just saying that if a coach was given marching orders by the AD to turn the program around in two years or else, they're taking the proven commodity.

Feb 15, 2017
I'm sure in her mind she was being truthful. And given that the number of transfers is smaller than the rate of attrition every year, of course they still have to take incoming freshman.

I'm just saying that if a coach was given marching orders by the AD to turn the program around in two years or else, they're taking the proven commodity.
And you have to look at the flow; you may be in a power five conference but if the SEC (including Texas and OU) or Pac 10 call you're going there.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

May 13, 2023
Proven commodity are players who played and created valuable productive stats. Much of those arrangements are made prior to entering the transfer portal which is just a formality.

Is not the same as players entering the transfer portal that were 'under used' and do not have game time showing they are an asset. And linger on the transfer portal fishing for a college.
This group becomes the 'wait and see group' on the transfer portal that may not go anywhere. Perhaps taking anything else for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
Different coaches have different opinions about the portal. You will seem some use it faithfully while others pick and choose and supplement a player here and there. The coach was likely being truthful for their style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Does redshirting occur at all in college softball?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Yes some softball players redshirt their freshman year. I would say not as common as you see in football but it does exist. There are also Medical redshirts for players that get injured and play under a certain amount of games or innings. A player can redshirt during any of her 4 years of eligibility.

Apr 27, 2020
Honestly; this is why there are different classifications of play and different sanctioning bodies.
Yes, You do get better playing stronger competition. This however does not relate to college scholarship or college playing opportunities.
If you have to travel 10 hours away for strong competition, you must live in Alaska or Hawaii. Regardless of the region of the US there are lots of quality programs or events.
With that said, yes some of the Top events are invite only....If your team or organization does not have a good resume you may not get in and have to make a little longer drive to get into an event that your team can buy in that has good comp well under 10 hours.

Apr 28, 2014
Do you have anything to back this statement up? In a conversation with the HC of a P5 school near us this Summer she indicated one pitcher was on full scholarship and two other virtually full with stacking academic. But the other 5 were half or less. Maybe that is unique, but she gave impression most P5 schools were structured similarly.

She also addressed the portal question someone else brought up. Her thought was if they had a choice between a HS kid they were recruiting who could potentially make an impact for four years vs a kid who only has 1-3 years left (and had already decided they didn't like the fit at another university) talent being equal they preferred the former.

Now clearly if there is a specific need or disparity in talent, that's different. Her answer did surprise me.
Just my personal experience. Which includes my DDs recruiting process at the D1 and P5 level and her transfer this summer. I can tell you that she had many d1 offers from the portal. Her Sophomore season at mid major was decent she was 9-1 with a 2.5 era 95ks in 97 innings. Not a top 50 pitcher but could have gone to a few top 25 schools nothing out of pocket and just about all other offers were full. Coaches would rather a transfer with a few years of D1 ball under their belt as opposed to a freshman

Apr 14, 2022

Transfers do not have to outnumber incoming freshman. They just need more in than out.
The top 100 recruits will always be recruited. The question is will transfers replace 1-2 of the incoming class from lower levels pushing those spots outside of power 5.
I have seen several players transfer from outside power to power 5. This was a much smaller number 5 years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles