What’s the benefit in changing names?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
I'd be more curious to know the percentage of kids rather than the number that get committed. IME a smaller org will typically get 100% commitment rate. The other thing is Scott is does not have one on one knowledge of his players like he used to unless they are one of the Academy teams. I like Scott and respect what is doing and he also is an asst coach TLU college team I also respect more the program which has a manageable number of teams and actually helps their kids get committed.

Another number which I believe would be a very valuable stat for all teams to track, but who's gonna do it. How many kids play for 4 years and graduate? Lots of variables that have more to do with the player finding the best fit.
I agree - percentage matters. DD's org is small and 100% of the 2022 class are signed to go play in college with 86% of those players going D1 and 14% going D2. FYI - that's 7 girls, lol.

May 27, 2013
I'm going to disagree. Their brand is definitely established by ALL of the team in the org. The Bombers have expanded like crazy over the last few years and they no longer have the cache' attached to their name like they used to in Texas. In the past if someone told you their kid played for the Bombers, you immediately knew they were a stud. Now you have to ask "Which team" in order to know whether they are a stud or just financing the teams with the studs.

Yep, pretty much have to do this with every org out there now. You might not even know who you are playing at showcases until the specific team shows up. Some will list their top team as in the showcase and then one of the lower-level teams is on the field to ensure they don’t lose their top-field billing when they aren’t there.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Agreed…lady dukes is another that has expanded and has a LOT of mediocrity in their expansion. They definitely have some national level teams but they also have some barely B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And the Dukes haven't even been around that long. Their expansion was $$$ driven. As if Marissa Young was going to take every girl who plays for the organization.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Mehhh 🤷‍♀️what percentage of players play with the same organization for long enough for the result of college to be the impact of the ONE organization...

NOT MANY AT ALL stay with one organization for long enough years for that to be attributed from one organization.

Most (many) players have multiple different coaches and multiple different organizations in their softball Journey.

99% it is the player and what they do is why they get recruited.

Aug 6, 2013
Mehhh 🤷‍♀️what percentage of players play with the same organization for long enough for the result of college to be the impact of the ONE organization...

NOT MANY AT ALL stay with one organization for long enough years for that to be attributed from one organization.

Most (many) players have multiple different coaches and multiple different organizations in their softball Journey.

Well in the case of the smaller orgs I would say there are chances a lot of them played a majority of their tb career with the same org. Again out of the 7 seniors graduating only 2 were new this season and only 1 of those CAME committed - the other was committed while playing for our org and her family fully credits our coaches/team with helping her as the school wasn't on their radar before joining our team. 5 of the seniors that graduated played their entire HS age career with the org.

To me percentage is still a valid indicator - of course you bring up a good point though. I want to know the % of girls who were uncommitted and got committed while on a team/org. Not including the girls who came to the organization already committed.

Yes 99% of recruitment is all the player - that has always been the case but organizations will still use recruitment numbers in their advertising for new players. Parents will still fall for that line as well and there are organizations that do support their players recruitment better than others. As stated in this thread - names matter as well even just to pique interest to open an email or view a profile. My daughter did 99% of the work to get committed but the day Coach K came to watch her play - both her coaches stood out there with him for over 45 minutes talking to him. Interacting and helping "sell her if you will". So I do give them 1% credit.

May 27, 2013

I would say with DD’s journey it was the team/org she was with her last 3 years of TB that helped develop her the most and assisted us the most with getting her recruited. This team is “loosely” affiliated with the org of the same name but has been around much longer than the whole org, itself. This specific team has continuously placed all of their seniors on a college team for years. If you wanted to play for this team, it was understood that the player’s goal and “job” was to get recruited. Players have been let go if they decided college SB wasn’t for them to make room for girls who wanted to play in college.

There are many other teams out there for girls who just want to play. I think a lot of top teams are very similar in their mindset. I don’t believe in the past 5 years (as long as I’ve been following them) this team had girls come to them who were already committed.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
While there are a couple of players that I know of who have played with the same organization for several years 3 to 4 years, The bulk of those have played for different tb coaches.
Tb coaches themselves also tend to hop organizations.

The mass majority of players in Southern California probably play on at least five different organizational named teams in their travel ball experience.
And that number can rise to a dozen 12.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
As far as people saying travel teams/orgs have placed players in college.

Think that is absolutely inaccurate and a wrong statement .

Travel ball coaches do not put/place players in to College Programs,
*that does not happen!

Tb/orgs have zero authority over what happens with players getting into colleges.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45