weight training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 17, 2014
At the college level, softball players are squatting, cleaning, and deadlifting. So if your daughter does not know how to perform these exercises properly, she should start to learn, even if it is just with the bar and training plates. It will giver her an advantage when she gets to the next level, and it will increase her power #'s as she starts to learn the exercises. Youtube "auburn softball conditioning" to see the types of things that college players are doing at ALL divisions.

Jul 4, 2012
Marc will certainly have some good info. Plyometrics are always beneficial, and closed chain kinetics will keep you from becoming stiff. Stretching is a must, and keep it fun.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
No offense Max but none of that is needed in softball. Powerlifting is the fad these days because the equipment is cheaper than machines or a bunch of stuff, you get the sessions for each athlete done sooner, and the trainers only have to think "Football" and not what each sport needs.

That is the expected opinion of a HS coach where little if any conditioning is needed. However, what happens at the college level, especially the elite levels is as often as he described. If it truly was not needed in softball, it would not occur. If you were to ever set foot in the weight room of a major program you would quickly realize that your statement about cost savings on equipment is ludicrous. There is a reality of what happens in the sport of fastpitch softball that is in stark contrast to what you imagine happens.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
I think it would be a shame if no one mentioned that this is Marc's line of work. Who is Marc? Well he is the guy who started and runs this website, so we get to play in his sandbox every day and he rarely tries to sell anything on here. So go to his website and look around.

Like I said he rarely tries to sell his products here, but it would be nice if we thought of him when we went looking for softball fitness related information.

Marc was mentioned in the first response... but you did a much better job!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
No offense Max but none of that is needed in softball. Powerlifting is the fad these days because the equipment is cheaper than machines or a bunch of stuff, you get the sessions for each athlete done sooner, and the trainers only have to think "Football" and not what each sport needs.

What an uniformed statement!!!!!!! Power lifting has been a fad for over 30 years. Power lifting is the preferred method training because it utilizes multiple muscle groups, works the core, strengthens muscles,.... the list goes on! And you make it sound like only the small schools that can't afford an enormous facility with hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment are utilizing power lifting. Ask kids in the Big 12, PAC 12, SEC,... what they are doing year round. Weight training with emphasis on multijoint power movements; dead lifts, cleans, presses, squats,.... With all the equipment they have where does the majority of the work happen? The squat rack! Put your kids on the machines and problems will follow in due time. No free range of movement in the joints, the smaller muscles that assist and stabilize are under worked, one side develops more than the other because there is no need to balance the bar.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
DD just turned 15, 5'-2" about 120 lb- she wants to start working with weights to increase her overall strength.

I will ask her PC (former DI coach) but I wanted to ask if any of you had recommendations of any particular exercises to do or to avoid. she has excellent skills but, in my opinion, is not strong enough to compete at the U18 level where she will be playing this year.

thanks!

I am a broken record on this subject. But nutrition is equally if not more important than weight training. Calorie intake should be upped, along with protein. Knowing when and what to consume goes a long way in strengthening the muscles, recovery time and preventing injury.

Dec 20, 2012
I have been in the college gyms and if you think the trainer gives two hoots about softball you are mistaken. They are going to take the same macho program for football or that they know, the same heavy weights and low reps, and have the girls do it. I get the same powerlifting mantra from my misinformed HS cadre across the state--and this year we finally bought equipment for programs that fit the needs of softball players.

And some college programs are smarter than that (Auburn, GA Tech IIRC). My potential college athletes hate powerlifting and in one case, she does not want to play college due to the powerlifting program at the one college. They don't want big muscles or strained joints over heavy weights. But we found her another school with a different emphasis.

What the players need are longer ranges of motion, more reps, more specific muscle focus for the roles on the team and the moves that softball players make. And this should be combined with band work and box work. I'll go with what we are doing, thank you.

Yep, u r really uninformed!!! Trainers don't give two hoots about softball? Hahaha!!! Just like the AD's don't care about softball either. You are exactly right, schools don't spend over $10 million on new stadiums. You are the expert, you've been in a college gym. WOW! Well the weight training would not be happening in the gym, it would be in the weight room. The gym is where 4th graders play dodgeball. Hahaha. And I really feel bad for your girls! For you to put unrealistic visions of muscle bound women in their head when the words weight training is mentioned. Then they won't attend a school because weight training is too hard. You are really doing an injustice to "your" girls.

And your case for cheap programs has been confirmed with your choice of using only rubber bands and a wood box tp develop your players.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2014

Yeah, it's just a fad, you're right. You have zero clue what you are talking about.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have been in the college gyms and if you think the trainer gives two hoots about softball you are mistaken. They are going to take the same macho program for football or that they know, the same heavy weights and low reps, and have the girls do it. I get the same powerlifting mantra from my misinformed HS cadre across the state--and this year we finally bought equipment for programs that fit the needs of softball players.

And some college programs are smarter than that (Auburn, GA Tech IIRC). My potential college athletes hate powerlifting and in one case, she does not want to play college due to the powerlifting program at the one college. They don't want big muscles or strained joints over heavy weights. But we found her another school with a different emphasis.

What the players need are longer ranges of motion, more reps, more specific muscle focus for the roles on the team and the moves that softball players make. And this should be combined with band work and box work. I'll go with what we are doing, thank you.

Once again you are playing the victim card. Don't let reality get in the way of your agenda to make victims out of every female ball player. With people like you looking out for them, they do not need enemies.

Oct 17, 2014

The S&C and conditioning coaches who give a hoot and are building strong, powerful young ladies would whip your tail. Anyone else hear the Alabama S&C coach, who is a female btw--not some football strength coach--talk at the convention?? They aren't just doing bodyweight exercises and bands.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA