weight training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD just turned 15, 5'-2" about 120 lb- she wants to start working with weights to increase her overall strength.

I will ask her PC (former DI coach) but I wanted to ask if any of you had recommendations of any particular exercises to do or to avoid. she has excellent skills but, in my opinion, is not strong enough to compete at the U18 level where she will be playing this year.

thanks!

Oct 10, 2011
Obbay, do you have any sports specific training centers in your area? If not a lot of gyms will have certified personal trainers that can come up with a program for her if you have the money to spend. DD works out at a gym twice a week with a couple trainers that really work on "sport specific" training... several of the trainers played softball in college. If not, I'm sure Marc could hook you up and he's had a lot of specials lately. It's good to support the guy that keeps DFP on the web.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Work the core! Also check out Bigger Faster Stronger. It is the workout program many High Schools are using for all of their athletes and you can tailor it to your daughter specific sport.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Another resource might be a physical therapy chain. Athletico is in my area and I would be comfortable with them setting up a training regime for my DD. I do not think they are in your state but you should have something similar in your area.

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for all the great input! Id like to get her into a program but I'm running out of cash :)

thanks again!

I hear ya! The place that we go to will also meet the athlete and write up a program that they can do on their own...maybe that could be an option also.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
First, relentlessly work the core. Second, know it is a year round thing. Not, a 1-2 month activity to prepare you for the rigors of a 4 month 26 game HS season. In the better college programs the players lift year round. Might as well get used to it if that is what she wants.

longball00

Softball is my obsession
Apr 8, 2014
Willoughby, Ohio
My 12yo DD is on a 3 day a week speed/agility/weight program year round. We cut it to 1-2 times a week during the season as time allows, and more rest is needed after long weekends. She spends 45 minutes on the speed/agility then is sent to the weight room where she hits mostly the core and lower body since she is a pitcher. upper body workouts are light weight, high rep and incorporates a lot of band usage. The best part is it's only $25/month weather you go 1 time a week, or 3 times a week! My 8yo boy has been going for just over a year and just does the speed and agility. They both love it, and look forward to it on the scheduled days.

Apr 1, 2010
DD was at her softball power class last night. They started off with circuits of burpees, heavy ropes and rowing machines and then did circuits of squats with barbels, kettlebell swings, chin-ups, lunges with weights, dumbells (looked like an overhead press but with a hop up into the air?), some sort of walk out with the hands from a crouch to a push up position and back. (The last two were way across the room from me and a bit hard to see.) It's a one hour class that differs from session to session.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I think it would be a shame if no one mentioned that this is Marc's line of work. Who is Marc? Well he is the guy who started and runs this website, so we get to play in his sandbox every day and he rarely tries to sell anything on here. So go to his website and look around.

Like I said he rarely tries to sell his products here, but it would be nice if we thought of him when we went looking for softball fitness related information.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA