Watching the hit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Does anyone have suggestions for breaking my daughter's habit of watching where she hits the ball? She's a quick leftie, about 2.9 home to 1st, but loses .5 sec in game situations because her eyes are on the ball not 1st. She's 13.

Jul 26, 2010
Some suggestions:

- Throw firecrackers at her feet when she hits the ball
- Have the first base coach holding an ice cream cone
- "release the hounds" upon contact. This works better if you staple a pork chop to your daughter first

Drills to try:

- Have her practice her T work, making sure she's "looking down the inside of the T" after she hits the ball. (you can even tell them there is a number inside there and you want them to tell you what it is). Practice this enough on the T and you will break them of turning their head to track the ball.

She's a leftie and you say she's quick, so teach her to slap, at least that way she's already on her way to first when she hits the ball.

-W

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Some suggestions:

- Throw firecrackers at her feet when she hits the ball
- Have the first base coach holding an ice cream cone
- "release the hounds" upon contact. This works better if you staple a pork chop to your daughter first
Drills to try:

- Have her practice her T work, making sure she's "looking down the inside of the T" after she hits the ball. (you can even tell them there is a number inside there and you want them to tell you what it is). Practice this enough on the T and you will break them of turning their head to track the ball.

She's a leftie and you say she's quick, so teach her to slap, at least that way she's already on her way to first when she hits the ball.
-W
Funny - Trust me, I've thought about it. I've also thought about blinders.

She does slap, just not always. She can bunt for a hit and has a little power, so swings away at least 50 percent of the time. It keeps the defense honest.

Thank you for the suggestions, we'll keep working the tee.

Jan 15, 2009
Try adding a timer to her run to first while doing front toss. Clock starts on ball contact, ends on foot hitting bag at first. IME kids don't realize how much time they are wasting watching the hit until they find out they are 5.0 seconds to first base when they should be 4.0 or less. Any time you measure something it becomes a contest and if she does it with the rest of the team you can bet they will compete to see who can get the lowest time.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Try adding a timer to her run to first while doing front toss. Clock starts on ball contact, ends on foot hitting bag at first. IME kids don't realize how much time they are wasting watching the hit until they find out they are 5.0 seconds to first base when they should be 4.0 or less. Any time you measure something it becomes a contest and if she does it with the rest of the team you can bet they will compete to see who can get the lowest time.

I'll try it. I'm hoping that she won't stop her swing to start running. Is there a way to ensure both finishing the swing and getting out of the box quickly?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
That is not all she loses. It robs her of power. Have her stand in front of you and have her hold her head up and have her hands in a praying position. See if she can keeo you from forcing her hands down. Next have her do it with her head down. Have her feel the difference. Two method we have used over the years. If hitting off a T put a pc of white towel inside the T and make sure she can see it after contact. If not using a T, put a ball on the ground on outside corner of the plate. Tell her at contact she must be able to see the ball on the ground.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes