Wanting to play travel ball instead of high school season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
I'm confused by this thread. If you don't like high school ball, don't play. Seems pretty simple.

He wants her TB teammates who are playing HS ball to be able to play with his DD on the weekends... But, after playing four 7 inning games with practice on the non game day... The last thing my DD wanted to do was play in a tournament on the weekend. And it's difficult to play a tournament with only "most" of your players...

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
He wants her TB teammates who are playing HS ball to be able to play with his DD on the weekends... But, after playing four 7 inning games with practice on the non game day... The last thing my DD wanted to do was play in a tournament on the weekend. And it's difficult to play a tournament with only "most" of your players...

Got it... Sounds like a thread I'm better off staying out of.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Correct. It was announced that athletes would be able to play school and club/travel sports at the same time. However, right now, it's looking like school sports may likely get cancelled completely.
i'm interested in seeing this announcement how it's written.
...but apparently too lazy to google search it 🙋

Mar 10, 2020
@wheresmycar you sure twisted this into a storyline in your head. Her tb teammates already arent going to play h.s. and neither is she. Its a choice to stay competing at the level they are at.
Not step backwards.

Apr 28, 2014
In south eastern PA public league HS softball is legit. DD's conference of 5 teams had 4 D1 commited pitchers as #1s. We generally face strong teams every game. It's like that because most travel players take part in the experience that is HS softball.
There is acrimony because we have 50-75 kids trying out for 15 spots on Varisty. Many kids who don't make it are their travel teams #1 pitcher or shortstop. That can be hard and even some of them will say HS softball is a waste of time or political. That all stems from the parents. It's easy to find a new travel team if your DD isn't getting the paying time you "paid for" its much harder to do that in HS.
It always makes me laugh when I read a post that says "you don't get better sitting behind players". I completely disagree, you get better by practicing and learning from those you sometimes sit behind until you become good enough to take their job.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
@wheresmycar you sure twisted this into a storyline in your head. Her tb teammates already arent going to play h.s. and neither is she. Its a choice to stay competing at the level they are at.
Not step backwards.

You are the one who said "most" (now apparently it's "all") of her TB teammates didn't' want to play HS ball. If your team isn't playing HS, then nothing is stopping you from playing TB, except for the lack of local tournaments, and other local teams that must also choose to not play HS ball.

I get it... you are choosing not to play HS, so you are desperate to get reps in, and not lose ground to the girls who are playing 20+ innings a week for two months...

Hey, we will be playing tournaments in the spring in GA (Fall HS Season), so come on over.

PGF Spring Kick Off
Date: Feb 27 - 28, 2021
Divisions: 10U - High School Girls

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not step backwards.

If her TB team is 14U, they will be able to play younger 14U teams. If they're older, I suspect they aren't going to have very many teams to play against. There won't be any showcase events (college coaches are kind of busy with their own teams). The most you can realistically hope for is to find another team or two who are doing the same as you, and play each other.

EDIT: This year, you might get a lucky break, and HS sports will get completely cancelled. If that happens, however, you might find that your TB team doesn't have fields to play on, either.

Last edited:
May 21, 2015
South
High School softball totally depends on what school you go to. My daughter's high school team was very serious and often competed for state championships. The coach was competent and tough and helped prepare my daughter (physically and mentally) for college. TB was just a way to get better and improve skills for high school and the future. While our tournament team was pretty good, there was never the team chemistry that my daughter enjoyed in high school and college ball. The "team comes first" and "selflessness" that most colleges demand was taught in high school, not in TB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00