Video of Catch at ESPN Rise Softball Tournament-- out or homerun?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
The umpire called the hit a home run. He ruled the player was out of bounds when the catch was made.

Incorrect call...IMO.
A couple of questions:
1) How many umpires on the crew for that game?
2) What base was the runner on?
3) What rule set was the tournament played under?
4) Did the umpire(s) get an argument from the defensive team HC after making the HR call?

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
I saw a catch at an Akron racer game last month that was nearly identical....right down to knocking down the fence.......ruled a catch and an out. in that case the cf robbed the batter of a grannie.

Jun 22, 2008
Was at least a 3 man crew, never really counted, dont know if there were more. Runner was on 1st with 2 outs and they were playing under FED rule set. And yes, defensive coach was out talking to official, it appeared official refused to discuss call with partners, there was never a huddle amongst the officials.

Mar 13, 2010
I don't work FED, so I am not at all familiar with the FED rule/Interp on catches involving collapsible fences.
BretMan...if you're out there...can you fill me in on on how FED looks at it?

Mar 13, 2010
From the ESPN RISE website
http:/ /rise.espn.go.com/softball/articles/2010/08/National-Softball-Championships-finals.aspx

8/15/10 IRVINE Calif.

(Starting with the last sentence of the third paragraph)

"The play of the game came in the top of the sixth inning.

With the score knotted at 2-2 and a runner on, Athletics' Sarah Craig hit a deep fly ball to left-centerfield. Impact center fielder Brittney Clopton caught thd ball, but prior to securing it in her glove, she had left her feet and crashed through the non-permanent fence.

Without hesitation the umpire ruled it a home run.

Rules state [the fielder] must have at least one foot in contact with the ground when you hit the fence and cross over the invisible line where the fence once stood."

Based on the information in the above article, I stand corrected...not a legal catch. HR, score 2 runs.

Obviously, based on the rule set the tournament was played under (consensus is FED) and/or possibly any tournament rule that may have been in effect regarding the "non-permanent fence"; the 2nd base umpire making the call was correct in his ruling.
Except for making sure he had applied the correct rule application, no need for him to check anything with the other umps on the crew. It was his call, he got out there on it, took a decent angle going out, saw what he needed to see correctly, (as confirmed by the video), and made the call.
good umpiring.

Jun 22, 2008
The rule they are quoting does not exist. Under all softball rules sets this is a catch. The umpire that made the call has posted on several sites and apologized and admitted that he made an incorrect call.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma