Video of Catch at ESPN Rise Softball Tournament-- out or homerun?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
"The play of the game came in the top of the sixth inning.

With the score knotted at 2-2 and a runner on, Athletics' Sarah Craig hit a deep fly ball to left-centerfield. Impact center fielder Brittney Clopton caught thd ball, but prior to securing it in her glove, she had left her feet and crashed through the non-permanent fence.

Without hesitation the umpire ruled it a home run.

Rules state [the fielder] must have at least one foot in contact with the ground when you hit the fence and cross over the invisible line where the fence once stood."

Based on the information in the above article, I stand corrected...not a legal catch. HR, score 2 runs.

I'd like to see this rule in print. Any chance you can provide a link to where this rule exists?

Mar 13, 2010
The rule they are quoting does not exist. Under all softball rules sets this is a catch. The umpire that made the call has posted on several sites and apologized and admitted that he made an incorrect call.

Comp, great info. Do you have an address for any of the sites? i'd be interested in reading the his comments.

Mar 13, 2010
Why were they using non-permanent fences for the tournament?
Do they use them all the time at that field?

Jun 22, 2008
he has a post on heybucket under both general discussions and the umpire corner, and also posted on ultimatecollegesoftball

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors