VIDEO: Any tips on my hitting form?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Okay this is the new video of my swing.
YouTube - 3/15 Batting Practice

You probably don't realize it, but prior to launching your swing, you position your arms in a position very close to the "bat on the deltoid" training position recommended by Epstein when a player is learning. Even though you hold your hands up high in your stance (style), you lower them into the universal launch position (technique), before you swing.

You may find it helpful early on to remove your style from the learning process and focus on the technique portion of the swing. One way to do this would be to position your hands and arms while in your stance, in the universal launch position, or very close to it. Bat on the deltoid as Tewks has demonstrated in another thread, or bat in the crook of the neck.

Do you have a bolt in the bottom of the Up Right for your tee? If not bring the tee in to a hardware store and have them find you one that works?

Oct 12, 2009
Okay this is the new video of my swing.
YouTube - 3/15 Batting Practice

SoftballPlayer_001.gif

As was suggested above, I would simplify your launch position and start with the bat closer to where it's going to be when your swing starts, which is closer to your back shoulder.

I love the intent I see in the clip, but your approach to your swing and your swing plane aren't right. For one thing, you've got an uppercut that is too big to work against a riseball. This results from the fact that you set your swing plane by leaning back toward the catcher, and dropping your back shoulder toward the catcher, rather than by tilting forward over the plate. There's also the issue that your spine is pretty much straight up and down and you are swinging level to the ground, both of which are cues that you hear frequently but that are wrong.

You've also got a pretty bad, but pretty standard, case of bat drag.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK. I appreciate that you are trying. To simplify things, I want you to lay the bat on your shoulder, then use your hands to move it off of your shoulder 3-5 inches. You have the bat and your hands way too high.

Now, with your feet, I want you to jump in the air and land, with your knees flexed. Stay there. Feet should be shoulder width apart. Turn your toes in towards each other a little. This will bring the knees in towards each other.

I want you to try a balanced stance instead of that leaning way back, that you are doing.

What state are you in? Do you have access to any training DVDS? I used to have some links to some Candrea stuff. I will look for that.

OK - google Candrea Hitting Video

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Incidentally, this is this forum at its best -- helping a willing player who wants to get better with practical suggestions in plain langauge. Well done everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45