In-game pitching videos for recruiting: any good tips or examples?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2019
Trying to put together a video of in-game footage of DD pitching for college coaches. Any tips? My first pass resulted in a collection of every strike she threw during a weekend tourney :rolleyes::ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

Curious about length of video, types of pitches shown (just 3rd strikes? or pitches resulting in outs? a single AB? one of each type? etc). An example might help the most. I'm trying to avoid the standard skills video with a set of pitches of each type at a practice (but please let me know if you believe this to be the best type of video for a pitcher)

May 18, 2019
I've decided to keep my daughter anonymous on here but I think the shorter the clips the better and we typically do just strikeout pitches for a full tourney or in some cases strikeout sequences for full games. I think under two minutes is good as long as there several posted. We also have a fuller recruiting video with all her pitches from a couple angles.

Jul 12, 2019
That makes a lot of sense. Shorter sounds like good advice. I wanted to show pitches that caught the batter looking as well as swinging and also show a couple of pitches that appear sufficiently "tunneled" to try to gather interest. But then I got into showing pitching sequences and getting the batter off balance in their swings... I guess I have no idea what a coach would want to see in these vids.

One girl around these parts looks great and fast but she tends to get hit hard during games against equal competition, which was part of the reason I thought game footage might be more interesting to coaches.

Jul 27, 2015
Trying to put together a video of in-game footage of DD pitching for college coaches. Any tips? My first pass resulted in a collection of every strike she threw during a weekend tourney :rolleyes::ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

Curious about length of video, types of pitches shown (just 3rd strikes? or pitches resulting in outs? a single AB? one of each type? etc). An example might help the most. I'm trying to avoid the standard skills video with a set of pitches of each type at a practice (but please let me know if you believe this to be the best type of video for a pitcher)
I will privately send you a few videos I made for my daughter that helped her get recruited.

If she throws a variety of pitches, grab the 10 or so best of each. Then rate each of them. In the video, show the best of each category at the beginning of the video. you only have a few seconds to get a coach's attention. Show variety and show your best ones early.

On the intro blurg, don't make it too long. The coach can pause the video. Show GPA, team name, and throw in the key stat or two and email address.

Now psycho me tried as hard as possible to show strike outs and show pitches with the least number of runners on base as possible. I know it is too late for this now, but camera angle and set up was huge to me.

I found that when she sent to link to coaches, that the email subject played a huge deal. Good Baa or k/g should be stressed if those are strengths.

May 27, 2013
What we did was create a Web site via Wix and put several videos on there - in-game pitching/fielding/hitting and pitching at a lesson. Also did separate hitting videos to highlight her slapping. We also included her bio, academic and softball accolades, links to HS ball write-ups, and her travel schedule. She put the link to the site in her email communications with coaches. That way, they could pick and choose the videos they wanted to watch. It seemed to work well for her during the process, as she kept the site updated.

Jul 12, 2019
Gentlemen, this is actually great food for thought. Tazman, I want you to know I got my video down to 3 mins last night and will trim a bit further :) And gator5, thank you for being kind enough to share your ideas and example; I think I understand the feel I'll be striving for thanks to your help. And Vertigo, I really like the idea of a website or collection of videos and info that the coaches can access at will. Much appreciated!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles