VIDEO: Any tips on my hitting form?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
This is a video of me hitting off my tee. I don't know if I put this tee together correctly because all I do is sit the tube on top of the mat (lol) and had no idea how to put it together so everytime I hit the ball it falls. Anyway-in this video the ball is a fly ball and hits the fence. Also-does anyone have any good plyometric upper body exercises that use little to no equipment? thanks, mel :)
YouTube - Oscarnodwannabe's Channel

When you hit, what is your thought process? Specifically with this swing, what were you trying to do? Were you trying to take a "game" swing or were you trying to hit a ball as far as you could?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SL ... personally I believe this young girl's perception of a good swing is incorrect.

Her disconnection & resulting barrel path will have her sitting on the bench on a remotely competitive team.

It might help to show her some GIFs and highlight the differences between how she swings and what the expectation is. She simply looks raw and without a clue. I view this as more a case of needing an education on the basics.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL ... personally I believe this young girl's perception of a good swing is incorrect.

Her disconnection & resulting barrel path will have her sitting on the bench on a remotely competitive team.

It might help to show her some GIFs and highlight the differences between how she swings and what the expectation is. She simply looks raw and without a clue. I view this as more a case of needing an education on the basics.

You can study all the video you want. Without being there showing a student the differences, it might take along time of trial and error and softball season is just around the corner.

What instruction I gave her is simple, and to feel it.

Small pieces at a time.

Straightleg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You can study all the video you want. Without being there showing a student the differences, it might take along time of trial and error and softball season is just around the corner.

What instruction I gave her is simple, and to feel it.

Small pieces at a time.

Straightleg

SL, IMO this young lady doesn't look to have "studied" any video.

When I see a swing like this my first thought is that the kid needs an education in terms of what a good swing should look like. They need to have their mental image of the swing realigned.

Her disconnection at the start of her swing, in which she lowers the barrel to what you see below, is going to significantly curb her ability to hit at a competitive level.

sx0nkg.jpg

If you have the time ... post some GIFs and compare them to what this young lady is doing. Align her mental image of what the swing should look like to that of a good swing.

Oct 12, 2009
I use ULead GIF Animator to create GIFs. The playing speed is more a function of your web browser. If you use Internet Explorer it will play rather slow. If you use Fire Fox it will play faster. My preference is to use Fire Fox. You can download the GIF and play it in a tool such as QuickTime where you can view it on a frame-by-frame basis.

You can control the playing speed using UGA.

Aug 2, 2008
Kudos to you for allowing yourself to be crituqued to get better, looks like your missing the bolt that goes in the bottom of your tee. Looks like your making do with what you got, good job.
IMO,
the front leg looks good, lands on the inside edge on a flexed front knee. Heard somewhere thats good. (Howard)

The rear leg is not bad, almost up on her toe at contact, decent weight shift.

Look at her grip, the thumb on the top hand is not closed over the index finger. Did you read that on here or do you just do that?

Starting body position looks pretty good, hard to tell from this angle.

Fixes, IMO.
In your stance get your hands about 3 to 4 inches in front of your rear shoulder, make sure they are at the top of your rear shoulder and no higher than your ear hole of your helmet. (Howard)

Lay your bat at a 45 degree angle, not flat, not straight up and down.

Siggy's Hitting Clips - ImageEvent look on here for starting positions,

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting/2562-rear-hip-isolation-resistance-drill.html

Now look at the drill Tewks is doing and pay attention to how his body turns the bat and not his hands, DROPPING THE BAT IS BAD

Give that stuff a try. Don't try to kill the ball at first concentrate on your form

Everything you do with your body looks pretty good, concentrate on your arms for now. And not dropping your bat.

Hope this helps, keep working hard.

Mike

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Your swing looks like many we get. Some very good comments, but not sure if like many young girls you understand what they are posting. The good news is you are trying to improve I'm not knocking video study posts,, but at your age the best thing that can happen is that someone that understands the swing can work with you. I do give you credit for posting your swing. Does anyone know anyone that would volunteer to work with this girl in southern Ga. ?

Yes. I am kinda "cluseless". I have never had hitting instructions and I am just now begining to play although I am a sophomore in high school. And do disrespect to my coaches but they aren't really experts on hitting we are not really a big softball program. Also I don't really swing like this. That day I was having problems with dropping my bat so I positioned my hands in that way cause it was the only position where I got contact with the ball. (bad day) I took yalls advise and these past two days I have been working on my arm positioning and I will post a new video later on today.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Try adjusting your bat angle as it appears to be to straight up and down. It should be at a 45 degree angle. (tap the back of your helmet where the pony tail come out with your bat head. read about proper grip on these threads (hitter). lower your hands and cock your wrist. as you take a small forward step load your hands back. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks