VIDEO: Any tips on my hitting form?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oh okay. Could my bat drag also be because I have a greater stronger lower body than I do arm strength? I heard that from somewhere. ALso would I get more power if I swung with my whole body? and do you have any drills I can do to learn to swing with my whole body because I've heard this before.

Oct 12, 2009
Oh okay. Could my bat drag also be because I have a greater stronger lower body than I do arm strength? I heard that from somewhere. ALso would I get more power if I swung with my whole body? and do you have any drills I can do to learn to swing with my whole body because I've heard this before.

Maybe, but is more of a mechanics thing.

I would suggest going back to the shorter bat while you're working on your swing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In essence, what happens during bat drag is that fairly early on in the swing, the back elbow gets ahead of the hands for more than just one frame.

People work on their swing forever, so don't feel bad. Yes, you are hitting the ball, but if you face a decent pitcher, she will "read" your stance and throw the ball by you, before you can get your hands in the correct position.

You have a good athletic build and are doing really well, trying to figure this out by yourself. Do you play any other sports?

May 13, 2008
Okay, thanks. Its just that I didn't know I had a billion problems with my swing because I get good distance off my tee.

That is the problem with bat drag, when you connect you hit it very hard, but the problem is that type of swing doesn't scale when you face better pitching. Especially a pitcher capable of changing speeds.

I'd suggest some one arm isolation drills. If you have a 30"-32" broom handle or PVC pipe you can hit tennis balls off of your tee using only your lead arm and then back arm. I think you'll find yourself struggling with the rear arm due to the bat drag problem.

I would also highly recommend the reverse top hand drill as well. Here is a link to a video demonstration here:

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting/2449-reverse-hand-drill-lead-arm-swings.html