Umpire pet peeves?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I was dugout mom on our 8U team, first rec then travel. I'm pretty organized but man, those girls are pure chaos. Every game I'd set up the dugout. All bags hung up, baskets under each bag with their names to dump their stuff into so they always knew where it was. Yet every inning, "I can't find my batting gloves!" "I can't find my face mask!" You've got 3 different girls telling you 3 different stories while you're trying to get another one to get her helmet & gloves on because she's supposed to be on deck. From what I can tell it seems to be better at 10U, or maybe it's that the team we're on now is so much more serious about what they're doing. Or maybe it is just as bad but I'm keeping score instead of in the dugout so I don't notice. I don't think that's it though.

hahaha....yeah I've read that book many times! We're on the same page...i'm a little crazy when it comes to safety, especially with the kid so I was always moving the bats and all the balls to a spot away from where everyone walked. The problem is there is just so much "stuff and junk" in the dugout nowadays...it can drive ya nuts! Years ago we only had 4 helmets and two bats....now you have 12 helmets and at least 12 bats, and about 18 water bottles of all shapes and sizes...I'm up in New England so in late fall early spring we also have our share of sweatshirts, winter gloves and hand warmers scattered about. The clean-up after a game is a process in itself!!

Jun 12, 2015
Yes! It's so crowded and stuff everywhere! On our 8U team we had one girl who was so unaware of everything going on around her. You had to watch her constantly or she'd be taking practice swings in the dugout. This was the kid who'd play right field and just stand there watching the ball roll by while my husband (AC) was yelling "Get the ball! Get the ball!" This was a travel team too. And she'd been playing since she was 5 in rec. LMAO

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Yes! It's so crowded and stuff everywhere! On our 8U team we had one girl who was so unaware of everything going on around her. You had to watch her constantly or she'd be taking practice swings in the dugout. This was the kid who'd play right field and just stand there watching the ball roll by while my husband (AC) was yelling "Get the ball! Get the ball!" This was a travel team too. And she'd been playing since she was 5 in rec. LMAO

Okay..one "right fielder level" story then I have to go back to work (I have a couple classic stories I tell to everyone and this is one of 'em). I was coaching T-Ball...the first baseman was kind of just standing there like a statue, (probably had his glove on the wrong hand)...no reaction to anything....so I go over there and give him a little instruction...did my best to give him the basics of what the first baseman is supposed to do...after my 1 minute quick little talk...he says...."Ooooh Look...A Butterfly!" When I walked away I was actually laughing inside because it was kind of funny.

Have A good day.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I was dugout mom on our 8U team, first rec then travel. I'm pretty organized but man, those girls are pure chaos. Every game I'd set up the dugout. All bags hung up, baskets under each bag with their names to dump their stuff into so they always knew where it was. Yet every inning, "I can't find my batting gloves!" "I can't find my face mask!" You've got 3 different girls telling you 3 different stories while you're trying to get another one to get her helmet & gloves on because she's supposed to be on deck. From what I can tell it seems to be better at 10U, or maybe it's that the team we're on now is so much more serious about what they're doing. Or maybe it is just as bad but I'm keeping score instead of in the dugout so I don't notice. I don't think that's it though.

This solved the equipment chaos issue:

Dugout Organizer for Baseball & Softball Gear , Bats, Helmets

r12x__51309.1429641623.480.480.jpg

Jun 12, 2015
We had baskets for every girl. Didn't help. Same concept as this, doubt they'd have used this reliably either. It is cool though.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
On the subject of stalling toward the end of a timed game.....

ASA rule 5-4-E: A forfeited game shall be declared by the umpire in favor of the team not at fault in the following cases: If a team employs tactics noticeably designed to delay or hasten the game

Thanks, Ajaywill.

Given this, I see no defense for the strategic use of the clock by a softball coach. It's unethical. How could it not be? What else is the purpose of this rule but to state that the clock is not be a 'part of the game' for strategic purposes?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Thanks, Ajaywill.

Given this, I see no defense for the strategic use of the clock by a softball coach. It's unethical. How could it not be? What else is the purpose of this rule but to state that the clock is not be a 'part of the game' for strategic purposes?

I don't think you'll ever see this rule enforced. DD's last TB game before college was in a TCS tournament against So Cal Athletics. Umpire allowed SCA's pitcher to leave the field to go look in her bat bag for an ankle brace after the inning had already started (and they refused to stop the clock), then once she found it allowed her to put in on in the dugout, then allowed her to take practice pitches with it before resuming the inning.

Surprise - surprise - game ended with DD's team having bases loaded and 1 out (trailing by 1) because there was a drop dead after passing the "no new inning" threshold. SCA ended up winning the next game - the championship game.

Total BS and the umpires were talking to the SCA's coach and laughing about it as they left the field.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole