Umpire pet peeves?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't think you'll ever see this rule enforced. DD's last TB game before college was in a TCS tournament against So Cal Athletics. Umpire allowed SCA's pitcher to leave the field to go look in her bat bag for an ankle brace after the inning had already started (and they refused to stop the clock), then once she found it allowed her to put in on in the dugout, then allowed her to take practice pitches with it before resuming the inning.

Surprise - surprise - game ended with DD's team having bases loaded and 1 out (trailing by 1) because there was a drop dead after passing the "no new inning" threshold. SCA ended up winning the next game - the championship game.

Stories like this also reveal people's true motives. I'm sure if you asked this coach about why he volunteers all his time and what he loves about softball, he'd say that winning is nice but it's really about learning life's lessons through competing, developing character, making fine young ladies of all these girls, etc. But when given a choice between the opportunity to compete in a difficult situation vs. winning without competing, you see what choice was made.

Feb 7, 2013
I understand that. Umpires can't prove intent. But the fact that the issue is addressed in the ASA rule book says to me that it's against the rules, even if it is difficult if not impossible to enforce.

I don't recall if the ASA rulebook mentions anything about timed games, drop dead innings, score reverting back to the previous inning, etc. or if the rule was written with the understanding that players are playing in non-timed games and will complete a full 7 inning game and therefore the intent of the "no stall rule" was to keep games from becoming unreasonably long (think filibuster in congress)?

Mar 26, 2013
I don't recall if the ASA rulebook mentions anything about timed games, drop dead innings, score reverting back to the previous inning, etc. or if the rule was written with the understanding that players are playing in non-timed games and will complete a full 7 inning game and therefore the intent of the "no stall rule" was to keep games from becoming unreasonably long (think filibuster in congress)?
ASA Rule 5-10 is the time-limit rule and it's no new inning unless the score is tied (continues with tie beaker).

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So, let's look at this rule again --

ASA rule 5-4-E: A forfeited game shall be declared by the umpire in favor of the team not at fault in the following cases: If a team employs tactics noticeably designed to delay or hasten the game

Is this talking about clock management strategies? Or was this put in place for things that happen in non-timed games? Or both?

I guess what I'm getting at is whether the ASA considers blatant time-management strategies to be illegal (whether they can be enforced easily or not).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Great idea to keep the little ones safe and organized, but I wouldn't think it would work when they get bigger and become too heavy for the coaches to load them in and out of their designated spaces.

We still use it for 14U.

The thing is sturdy as hell - on its 6th or 7th season - and comes in a nice carry case. It isn't that heavy - though I do put it in the cart with everything we need (bownet, bucket of balls, bucket of other stuff, first aid kit, etc). Hooks are heavy duty and the material is strong. Can't say enough about how good it is - and I haven't stepped in a helmet/bat/anything else in the dugout since I got it. Name tags pocket for each spot, room for catchers gear on the bottom shelf... Yeah this thing is cool.

Only issue is that some dugouts can be cramped - but we figure it out.

Nov 8, 2014
GM was implying that the kid gets stuffed in the personal pocket. I have no problem with dugout mess. Its our home for two hours. We live in it. We like it lived in.

Nov 8, 2014
As for Pet Peeves - do you all dislike when the cocky kid nods her head in agreement at your called strike? Does it bug ya when the average travel kid at bat holds their hand up for time as they redig into the same hole they've been standing in for three pitches already? Does it peeve you when a catcher overframes a pitch? Does it peeve you when a pitcher rolls her eyes while facing you or turns her back and mouths crap to her 2B or SS after a close pitch? Does it peeve you when a coach calls you "Mr. Umpire"?

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
The best way to eliminate the stalling at the end of the game is to make the timed games longer. The boys play 7 innings max or for 1 hour and 45 minutes or 1 hour and 50 minutes depending on the tournament. 99% of softball tournament games at 1 hour 10 minutes and the longest game time we played under is 1 hour 20 minutes. Baseball in our area has no problem getting all their games in over a weekend and a lot of the tournaments are played on the same fields. Extend the softball game times to 1 hour 30 minutes 6 inning game and this will become a non-issue.

Jan 3, 2014
Off Topic -

OlatheDad, I was just down your way the other day. Oklahoma Joes turned me into a rib lover when I'd been pretty indifferent previously. KC BBQ is the real deal.

Laker

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild