Umpire pet peeves?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I'm not a coach, just a parent. I'm talking about coaches calling excessive time outs to kill momentum and stall the game. I hate it. It's annoying and I think it's rather pitiful. And I don't care if you believe me or not, though I can't imagine why I'd fake an opinion.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
IF tournaments are going to allow timed games (which I hate) than I see no problem with teams using clock management to their advantage (like football, basketball, etc. does). It becomes part of the game when the TD decides to put time limits on the length of games. Don't blame the coaches...

The difference is the clock stops in football and BB.

Jun 22, 2008
Coaches can only call a limited number of time outs. On defense the coach gets 3 for a 7 inning game, any more and they must change pitchers. Offense gets only 1 per inning.

Mar 26, 2013
IF tournaments are going to allow timed games (which I hate) than I see no problem with teams using clock management to their advantage (like football, basketball, etc. does). It becomes part of the game when the TD decides to put time limits on the length of games. Don't blame the coaches...
The difference is the clock stops in football and BB.
Surely you've seen teams with the ball and ahead run the clock down before hiking the ball or shooting...

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
And that's is why they have a shoot clock in BB and limited time to snap the ball in football to try and keep the stall tactic to a minimum.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
On the subject of stalling toward the end of a timed game.....

ASA rule 5-4-E: A forfeited game shall be declared by the umpire in favor of the team not at fault in the following cases: If a team employs tactics noticeably designed to delay or hasten the game

Notice that the rule does NOT say "illegal" tactics....Therefore a coach that requests a time out for the sole purpose of stalling (delaying) the game is subject to the penalty in this rule.

Now that penalty is a pretty heavy hammer and to the best of my knowledge, has never been enforced in any timed game. If I feel that a coach is stalling, I will quietly ask him/her if they are aware of the penalty for stalling..most times they are not. When I explain it to them, it usually gets the point across.

Jun 7, 2013
Stalling the game so the other team can't bat again when time is running out, I see this in wrestling too to help their kid rest

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I've seen extra long conferences on the mound. Intentionally sending three batters in a row without a chin strap on their helmet. Having a catcher fake having equipment problems in the dugout. Injuries faked. Intentional long talk with the umpire. etc. etc.

Feb 7, 2013
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I've seen extra long conferences on the mound. Intentionally sending three batters in a row without a chin strap on their helmet. Having a catcher fake having equipment problems in the dugout. Injuries faked. Intentional long talk with the umpire. etc. etc.

There are subtle ways to either slow the game down when ahead or speed it up when you are behind. IMO, there is a bright line between using the clock to your advantage and using "bush league" tactics like having the outfield tie their shoe laces, fake injuries, changing catchers during an inning, etc.

Most smart coaches will manage the clock well before the very last inning and most observers would not even notice. Clock management is just one of many strategies that good coaches will employ and I expect my fellow coaches to do the same in timed games. Not to consider clock management does a disservice to your team.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I've seen extra long conferences on the mound...Intentional long talk with the umpire.

Can't speak to your other examples but these two are absolutely within the control of the umpire. If the umpire allows these kind of shenanigans near the end of a timed game, then it's simply proof IMO that the umpire is not being professional and simply there for the paycheck. RT1 is absolutely correct that good coaches use the clock to their advantage during the game, not just to save their asses at the end of the game.

Mar 26, 2013
And that's is why they have a shoot clock in BB and limited time to snap the ball in football to try and keep the stall tactic to a minimum.
Softball has time limits on batters to get ready and pitchers to pitch. Umpires are responsible for minimizing the other shenanigans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi