Umpire pet peeves?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
The thread is about pet peeves. Are umpires not allowed to have pet peeves? Is it possible for them to enforce the rules and also have opinions or pet peeves, or should they be robots who enforce the rules without any feelings or opinions on how the game is played or people should be treated? It would be different if the poster said that he disallowed timeouts with two minutes to go. He just said it was a pet peeve. As a parent/former coach, I'm not a fan of it either.

yeah you're correct .....

My biggest PP is, as mentioned above, the coach who has a comment on any and every call .....

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
No, it is not illegal to REQUEST time with 2 minutes to go. The umpire is not required to grant it :)

but why wouldn't the umpire grant the time out? just because you KNOW the coach is only stalling, its still within the rules ...

Sep 14, 2014
I am not a fan of stalling by asking for time, either defensively or offensively. I do like that in FASA and USFA any stoppage of play with less than 5 minutes remaining also stops the game clock.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
but why wouldn't the umpire grant the time out? just because you KNOW the coach is only stalling, its still within the rules ...

Just because something is legal doesn't make it ethical. As previously stated, asking for and being granted time is a privilege - it is not an entitlement. Full disclosure - I HATE timed games - but I understand why they're done (usually so the TD doesn't have to refund money).

JMO but if you have to result to this bush league crap to win a game, you've failed as a coach and I know I wouldn't let my kid play for you. As a coach you're supposed to be teaching your players how to perform at his/her peak when the going gets tough and putting them in the position to win the game between the lines on the field - not the front and back cover of the rule book.

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
... if you have to result to this bush league crap to win a game, you've failed as a coach and I know I wouldn't let my kid play for you. As a coach you're supposed to be teaching your players how to perform at his/her peak when the going gets tough and putting them in the position to win the game between the lines on the field - not the front and back cover of the rule book.

well said, but, as an official working the game that's not your call. If the coach requests time, and its within the rules of that game, then it should be granted ... IMO

Jun 12, 2015
ITA, SoCal. If they have to resort to that to win I feel sad for the girls that the coach hasn't taught them the value of PLAYING to win, not STALLING to win. And I feel sad for the coach that his ego is so hung up on winning it's more important to him than teaching the girls on his team.

Feb 7, 2013
IF tournaments are going to allow timed games (which I hate) than I see no problem with teams using clock management to their advantage (like football, basketball, etc. does). It becomes part of the game when the TD decides to put time limits on the length of games. Don't blame the coaches...

Jun 12, 2015
Calling time out to stall because you're afraid if you play more you'll lose is just sad. I'd much rather have my kid on a team that plays to win, even if they end up losing. Not hides from losing in excessive time outs.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Which rule would that be? Speaking ASA, there is no such right granted to either team. :)

Jan 14, 2015
Calling time out to stall because you're afraid if you play more you'll lose is just sad. I'd much rather have my kid on a team that plays to win, even if they end up losing. Not hides from losing in excessive time outs.

I disagree, and I don't believe you.

What you're saying is that if your team FINALLY has a chance to win a Tournament, finally put themselves in a position to WIN IT ALL, and you knew if the on deck batter came up it you would more than likely lose the game, or a few more walks and you're done, you would still let them play on as if it's the first inning? BS! You wouldn't use the rules to your advantage to help these kids and families finally walk away as the winner?? Winning is not everything, but it's something. And they are counting on you, as their coach, to put them in a position to win, and help them succeed with your knowledge and strategies. Doing what you say actually, IMO, let's the kids down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi