Two Swings - 10Y DD playing 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
And here's my favorite part. It's not like she doesn't get it. I took a clip of her BP the other night and made a clip of just that. Just a little different (sarcasm)...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8iwjG6QC8tGNzd5NDMtcDA5bW8/edit?usp=sharing

Oh, and I was trying to make a GIF out of this, but I don't know how. Can someone share that info with me.

Thanks again,

Josh

Big difference between these two swings is that one has a ball coming towards the hitter and the other swing is a dry swing.

The issue is with the leveling process ... and the leveling process takes place with a ball in flight coming towards you. It isn't all that strange for a leveling issue to exist for a pitched ball, but not exist for a dry swing.

So perform head-on soft-toss with the notion of "leveling as you swing" instead of "leveling and then swinging". The benefits are multiple ... and include increased barrel speed.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You don't solve a leveling issue by simply performing tee swings ... you solve it through performing head-on soft-toss with an appropriate focus of "leveling as you swing". It is important that this issue be tackled while the hitter sees a ball coming towards them.

zkgyl4.jpg

May 1, 2011
Roger that. How much of a factor is muscle memory? If this is a swing that she practiced 50 times a day, would it help?

Josh

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Roger that. How much of a factor is muscle memory? If this is a swing that she practiced 50 times a day, would it help?

Josh

My recommendation is that you have someone throw her head-on soft-toss while you watch your DD from the side. You play a game ... she needs to perform 11 swings in a row where she "levels as she swings". Any one swing that is not a "level as you swing" type swing resets the count back to zero.

The number 11 is not a made up number. Make her perform 11 correct swings in a row.

If she performs 10 correct in a row, and the next swing is a failure, then you reset the count to zero. Don't think you are being nice by giving her a do-over ... reset to zero. The objective is 11 correct swings in a row.

What this will do is have her brain actively involved ... and that is what you need to get through this issue.

Often you can get a kid to do one or two proper swings in a row after giving them instruction ... and then they get complacent and revert back to a prior swing. By setting the goal at 11 you force active learning.

Do this daily for a week and watch the improvement.

Again ... reset the count to zero for any one improper swing ... and don't accept any excuses.

May 1, 2011
Oh...I like that. Her coach does an 18 outs drill. He hits balls all over the field (not just too girls so they end up with situations where there are "runners" on) to simulate game situations. On balls that plays can be made on, they MUST record an out. 18 in a row, or it starts back at ZERO. I've seen it go an entire practice and them not be able to do it. What happens? They start back over next practice. Pressure, teamwork, and team spirit are all involved on that drill. Did I mention PRESSURE!!! Seen em' get to 17 several times and a girl makes a bad throw....ohhhh does it get ugly.

Josh

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Oh, and I was trying to make a GIF out of this, but I don't know how. Can someone share that info with me.
Thanks again,
Josh

CA... like the swings, their are lotz of ways... like this board, you need to state you intention... Do you want a free one or is there a budget to work within. The concept is just that you isolate video into frames. depending on how much processor speed you have, and how fast you want to make them. with big bucks & lots of ramp time...Go PhotoShop... its (D1)

Making a .gif, is the learning process of applying the Hanson Principle. I go for the whole swing...and enhance them...which forces me to spend much more time studying it. It has forced me to spend much more time setting up the shoot ect...and getting a better quality clip to start... then wanting it at higher speeds, better lenses ect....(endless pursuit)

My process is a mix match and convoluted, and labor intensive...with combinations of old programs. I am currently working on implementing the use of GIMP (D3). It is free, does lotz of other things, and has lotz of other people working with it...Tutorials. Here is a basic video on the process.... that will get you in the park....there are thousands of others.

turn off your volume lol I uesd to hate the ones with just music, but I just turn it off, and the you got it in writing...For best results... hook up another monitor so that you can have the tutorial playing on one, and stop it and do the steps at the same time...

Finding a .gif process is just as hard as building the swing... everyone has different priories. If your's is just to add cute captions, to respond quickly to smaller pieces of the swing, then I'm hoping those disagreeing with me will at lest point you in that direction, with a link...

If you were to follow my approach, and become overwhelmed with the real learning curve of making the .gifs that last a lifetime, you will find there is not as much time for pointless debates, on subjects that are undefined. Thx for sharing your video... now I know my avatar is of a flat swing...:rolleyes: It is a frozen glimps of us working on foundation... first....just watch only the feet... Her swing has developed... as have my .gif skills... I can make a much, much better one now... and will.

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
Funny because I was looking at the Avatar. Looks like you and I have embarked on similar journeys. She's got practice tonight, but I'm working. Her coach is a good friend of mine and he knows what we're working on, so he's going to continue my instruction and get some video hopefully.

Josh

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Good input Noon. FYI ... when I clicked on the link for "ULead GIF Animator 5" the program was not listed. I think it is a great tool ... but I don't see a place to buy a copy anymore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC