First year 14u Tee Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Ask any 14yo girl if she's practicing her game swing off the tee.
And then answer the question of what feeling she should practice off a tee when her dad says he'd like her to hit with a higher launch angle.
I'll see how many pros practicing game swings off tees I can find.

I would say a 14 yr old would probable be trying to perform her game swing off of a tee. But I will say most (Not all) 14yo don't really know what the purpose of using a tee is for. They are just up there hacking away.

What feeling should she practice: I don't know, what ever her instructor is wanting her to feel. To get a greater launch angle - I don't know, it depends on the instructors approach on what he means by that and how you accomplish it and how he is presenting it to the player.

The Josh clip below, off of the tee is not his IN GAME swing. Again he is practicing a Aspect of the swing which he stated in the video. Its a ball high in the zone, so he is trying to practice getting his elbow above the ball. He is not focused on his entire swing at that point.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal

Ha, don't know if you posted this particular video on purpose, probably - I'm slow on the uptake, but he's working on high in the zone as I was with my daughter. It was interesting that he was discussing keeping his lead elbow above the plane of the ball and working flatish through the ball. Just rewatched my DD's video and she's approaching the ball in the same manner for this particular tee position.

Thanks for the video

Jul 29, 2013
I would say a 14 yr old would probable be trying to perform her game swing off of a tee. But I will say most (Not all) 14yo don't really know what the purpose of using a tee is for. They are just up there hacking away.

What feeling should she practice: I don't know, what ever her instructor is wanting her to feel. To get a greater launch angle - I don't know, it depends on the instructors approach on what he means by that and how you accomplish it and how he is presenting it to the player.

The Josh clip below, off of the tee is not his IN GAME swing. Again he is practicing a Aspect of the swing which he stated in the video. Its a ball high in the zone, so he is trying to practice getting his elbow above the ball. He is not focused on his entire swing at that point.
To your point, I guess it's impossible to "practice" an IN GAME swing because that ain't practice because it's IN GAME and IN GAME they don't let you hit off a tee. So you're right, pros don't practice IN GAME swings off a tee. YAY!
And so neither do 14yo girls or anybody above t-ball.

Jul 29, 2013
Ha, don't know if you posted this particular video on purpose, probably - I'm slow on the uptake, but he's working on high in the zone as I was with my daughter. It was interesting that he was discussing keeping his lead elbow above the plane of the ball and working flatish through the ball. Just rewatched my DD's video and she's approaching the ball in the same manner for this particular tee position.

Thanks for the video
Her game swing looked as though her elbow didn't elevate.
On spine angle. If she's got good tilt, and you want more elevation, have her focus on hitting 1/2" low of center of the ball. Mine used to hit towering Homers with that approach.
This is from a practice video, and the ball was coming down.Screenshot_2016-04-16-19-53-38.png

Jun 8, 2016
On spine angle. If she's got good tilt, and you want more elevation, have her focus on hitting 1/2" low of center of the ball. Mine used to hit towering Homers with that approach.
This is from a practice video, and the ball was coming down.View attachment 15470

May 7, 2015
SoCal
This is from a practice video, and the ball was coming down.View attachment 15470

Interesting comment on hitting 1/2" lower on the ball. My DD had her first two HR's last year in 2nd yr 12u.. Both were pop ups that refused to die out. Came off the bat with the right sound, I immediately thought pop up but the ball just wouldn't stop "going".

How old is your DD and did she move towards more tilt in her swing? Thanks for the ongoing dialog

Jul 29, 2013
Interesting comment on hitting 1/2" lower on the ball. My DD had her first two HR's last year in 2nd yr 12u.. Both were pop ups that refused to die out. Came off the bat with the right sound, I immediately thought pop up but the ball just wouldn't stop "going".

How old is your DD and did she move towards more tilt in her swing? Thanks for the ongoing dialog
She's 20 now. We worked on spine tilt from 10yo. Her 14yo coach hated it and tried to get her to tilt forward to hit down and through the center of the field. Then one day he's fussing at her during bp about how leaning back will cause her to hit the ball in the air. She hits a fly ball and he says, "see, what happens, you're gonna hit it in the air leaning back like that." and the ball goes yard.... so she asks, "if I hit it on the ground, how's it going to get over the fence?" Lol.
Spent a lot of time on the tee working on keeping her head behind the back thigh. She moved against her front side and it allowed her to get a good spine tilt. Did a drill where we put a car tire to step against and push the front hip back and hit off a tee and some front toss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12