Two Swings - 10Y DD playing 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
Ok, the first swing is from last Wednesday. We have talked about and worked on not letting the head of the bat drop back behind her which was making her drag it through the zone pretty badly. Second swing is what has come out of our work. Not perfect BY ANY MEANS. Still plenty of work to be done. She hit both balls out front, which is something else we're working on. Just wanted to see if anyone could point something out that could help.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8iwjG6QC8tGVE1xY2FXNFdsZ2c/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Josh

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Her sequence looks pretty good.
Like you saw she is getting her upper body ahead on rotation and swinging out front. If you could get her hips to lead the swing it would look really good.
She also let the back elbow fold and got some drag like you see, not maintaining the box.
Very common things with the girls.
I work on these all the time with different girls.

I try different drills for the feeling of hips leading and different ones for maintaining the back elbow.
Hips leading: Throwing drills, 3-4, slow motion matrix, Lead arm/front side drills, even the snf once in awhile.

Back arm: Home made connector, Slow motion matrix, trying to keep the bat vertical longer in the swing for a split second.
Connector - YouTube

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Both swings resemble a "flatten then swing" type approach.

2njlclx.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is the same "drop the barrel and swing flat" movement that my DD is trying to recover from. For us, we're working on a "turn the barrel" approach.

A few keys that seem to be working for us...

- Start the swing with the barrel in the "neck slot" (the corner between the shoulder and the neck). We began by having my DD swing with the barrel starting on her shoulder. This prevented the bat from dropping behind her rear arm until she got a feel for it. After a little bit of that, we went to starting in the "neck slot".

- "Show the triangle to the pitcher". Triangle is formed by the elbows and the knob of the bat. Turn the triangle so the rear elbow drops toward the rear hip and the front elbow rotates upward. In conjunction with hip and body rotation, the triangle will now be facing the pitcher. This movement has been a big help in getting my DD to not collapse the front elbow. The connector device mentioned by straightleg may be a big help in conveying this concept.

- The "turn the barrel" action is an immediate and sudden rotation of the bat from 12-o'clock (starting position, bat up) to 6-o'clock (low point in the swing arc). The idea is to get the bat moving fast as quickly as possible.

This may also help to illustrate the "turn the barrel" action...
hamiltonforearmrotationreverse.gif

Here's an example I showed my DD to illustrate "turn the triangle to the pitcher" (knightsb's DD with a homemade connector device)...
Olivia032413Club.gif

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
In DD's case, it's a BIG PUSH!!!! It's not AS bad in the second swing, but still present. The clip of Hamilton is something I tried to get DD to practice a little (tipping the bad towards the other batters box slightly). When she does it, she tells me that she "feels the difference." Just have to get some more time logged with her. She's really eager to get this worked out. Assistant coach on the team said she looked like Gary Shefield. I told him "I wish." Once her hands go back, if she would just keep them in that position until her hips start, it would be better, but she gets impatient with her hands and feels like she HAS to do something with them. We'll post some video hopefully. She's got her first big tourney this weekend as a 12u player. She's PUMPED!!!

Thanks again folks,

Josh

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is the same "drop the barrel and swing flat" movement that my DD is trying to recover from. For us, we're working on a "turn the barrel" approach.

A few keys that seem to be working for us...

- Start the swing with the barrel in the "neck slot" (the corner between the shoulder and the neck). We began by having my DD swing with the barrel starting on her shoulder. This prevented the bat from dropping behind her rear arm until she got a feel for it. After a little bit of that, we went to starting in the "neck slot".

- "Show the triangle to the pitcher". Triangle is formed by the elbows and the knob of the bat. Turn the triangle so the rear elbow drops toward the rear hip and the front elbow rotates upward. In conjunction with hip and body rotation, the triangle will now be facing the pitcher. This movement has been a big help in getting my DD to not collapse the front elbow. The connector device mentioned by straightleg may be a big help in conveying this concept.

- The "turn the barrel" action is an immediate and sudden rotation of the bat from 12-o'clock (starting position, bat up) to 6-o'clock (low point in the swing arc). The idea is to get the bat moving fast as quickly as possible.

This may also help to illustrate the "turn the barrel" action...
hamiltonforearmrotationreverse.gif

Here's an example I showed my DD to illustrate "turn the triangle to the pitcher" (knightsb's DD with a homemade connector device)...
Olivia032413Club.gif

Bold above .... that will address the issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA