Turn the barrel???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Try this...
Teachermanandsomepoorlittlekid_zps2d86a13c.gif

hamiltonforearmrotationreverse.gif

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
WOW! WOW! WOW! Can I please have permission to stop reading the 6,897 pages of the barrel turning thread. The link Eric F provided is so clear to me! Thanks a ton... I'm looking forward to working on it... I do want to get a clip for you guys to review right away. I see the consensus is to work from the bottom up, so I guess we should start there prior to diving head first into the upper. I'm getting excited by just being able to UNDERSTAND what we SHOULD be trying to do!

THANKS

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Keep educating yourself as much as possible, but take it one step at a time with your DD and allow her to get one part dialed in before you move on to the next thing. Build her foundation, and keep evaluating her swing at every step. I've found that video is a huge help to see what's really going on. Trying to analyze her swing at full speed can be challenging (especially if you're still learning what to look for, as I am). Having a way to stop and slo-mo her swing is very powerful.

With my DD (much younger than yours), having drills that isolate and exaggerate specific movements is the most effective way to communicate what her body is supposed to feel. Verbal descriptions and demonstrations generally don't fare so well. Your DD may be different. From her pitching work, you probably already have a feel for how to get into her head.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
Keep educating yourself as much as possible, but take it one step at a time with your DD and allow her to get one part dialed in before you move on to the next thing. Build her foundation, and keep evaluating her swing at every step. I've found that video is a huge help to see what's really going on. Trying to analyze her swing at full speed can be challenging (especially if you're still learning what to look for, as I am). Having a way to stop and slo-mo her swing is very powerful.

With my DD (much younger than yours), having drills that isolate and exaggerate specific movements is the most effective way to communicate what her body is supposed to feel. Verbal descriptions and demonstrations generally don't fare so well. Your DD may be different. From her pitching work, you probably already have a feel for how to get into her head.

This is very important. Make sure each point is set before moving on. My DD is a pitcher as well and has done martial arts for years so she generally has great body awareness and learns quickly. She would pick up the new movement patterns quickly and demonstrate them in her live swing but we did not take the time required to ingrain them fully so she would drift out of them quickly as well. We had to go back to almost square one and take everything slow. Provide "touch point" drills to help find the proper movement patterns if one or more begin to drift.

Basically, don't rush it, build a solid foundation of each movement/skill before you progress to the next

May 16, 2010
Try this...
Teachermanandsomepoorlittlekid_zps2d86a13c.gif

hamiltonforearmrotationreverse.gif

To an untrained eye, and anyone with very little knowledge of how the body moves, the two videos above look like the same move.

They are NOT. The pro player is NOT doing what the other two are doing.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
To an untrained eye, and anyone with very little knowledge of how the body moves, the two videos above look like the same move.

They are NOT. The pro player is NOT doing what the other two are doing.

How about trying to help a fella this time Jim without an agenda of muddin' up everyone else's advice. Post your turn and hammer youtube and whatever else you like, and let people decide what they want to do.

Feb 21, 2013
jbooth- You are absolutely correct. My eye is certainly untrained as evidenced by me seeing the moves as very similar. So can you please explain the difference in detail to me. Thanks in advance

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I would love to hear your explanation of the differences, jb. I know there are some different philosophies about hitting that people will defend with near-religious fervor, and not everyone subscribes to the church of "turn the barrel".

However (as I understand it), this movement is what many of the DFP'er hitting-geeks describe as "turning the barrel". My reason for posting these clips was to illustrate the movement to the OP for his own education.