TTB and the Fastpitch Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I guess I'm wrong.. TM does not focus on Hands/forearms to TTB
It's A focus and maybe he puts more emphasis on it, but he does talk about creating a corner, stretching behind it, etc which is all about using the core (you can argue with whether or not it is the correct way to use it but he talks about using it nonetheless).

If I want to learn about Continuum Mechanics I am not just going to read the first chapter of the book where they will likely emphasize kinematics. Need to read the whole book and in some cases, since various authors have different ways of explaining things, multiple books. No different with hitting...

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Are you familiar with the laser drill? I use a somewhat modified version of that. I start by using the standard laser drill as demonstrated by the HI people (I'm sure you can find a good example on Soriano's twitter feed). Then I ask the hitter to get in a normal stance. I place a ball on a tee in a spot that would be low and outside. I get in a position to side toss to the hitter. I tell the hitter that if I toss the ball, I want them to hit the ball by lasering the ball in half first. If I don't toss the ball, I want the hitter to hit the ball on the tee. Again, by lasering it in half first. It takes a little while. And to be honest, some of the early swings look really bad. But in most cases it helps the hitter find the right mix between body movement and hand/forearm movement in order to accomplish the task.

I also really like the neck slot (George Brett) drill. There are other drills I use, but these are good starters for your specific question.
I know what it means to laser the ball.. but not familiar with the drill. Couldn't find it on youtube or specific reference to it on Soriano either. I understand your progression though, can be done with front toss as well, right? I've just started using the neck slot, as demonstrated by Soriano's students.

May 12, 2016
It's A focus and maybe he puts more emphasis on it, but he does talk about creating a corner, stretching behind it, etc which is all about using the core (you can argue with whether or not it is the correct way to use it but he talks about using it nonetheless).

If I want to learn about Continuum Mechanics I am not just going to read the first chapter of the book where they will likely emphasize kinematics. Need to read the whole book and in some cases, since various authors have different ways of explaining things, multiple books. No different with hitting...
I am not arguing he does not talk about the core and it's importance in the entire swing.... But when talking specifically about TTB, he isolates the hands, it's all about the hands.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Hands will be along for the ride...............................
CIMG6772_C.gif

What's really messed up with this swing is how far the upperbody comes forward before the front foot plants.

Jun 8, 2016
I am not arguing he does not talk about the core and it's importance in the entire swing.... But when talking specifically about TTB, he isolates the hands, it's all about the hands.
Ok, in your eyes he does a poor job of describing the important aspects of getting a good barrel path. That is fine..I am not married to the guy so if that is how you it view no skin off my back. Like I said, now that you know about all the important aspects move on from there..

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know what it means to laser the ball.. but not familiar with the drill. Couldn't find it on youtube or specific reference to it on Soriano either. I understand your progression though, can be done with front toss as well, right? I've just started using the neck slot, as demonstrated by Soriano's students.

Sure. That is the final step of the progression. Once they get the hang of side toss we move to front toss. Mix locations and speeds. If necessary return to previous steps for emphasis. Rinse and repeat...

May 12, 2016
Ok, in your eyes he does a poor job of describing the important aspects of getting a good barrel path. That is fine..I am not married to the guy so if that is how you it view no skin off my back. Like I said, now that you know about all the important aspects move on from there..
I know you don't have a man crush on the guy... but explain to me what he means by "His body conforms"... My understanding, he is saying the body conforms/reacts/responds/supports to TTB with the hands/forearms. I don't think it's how I view it, I believe that's the message he is conveying.

Jun 8, 2016
I know you don't have a man crush on the guy... but explain to me what he means by "His body conforms"... My understanding, he is saying the body conforms/reacts/responds/supports to TTB with the hands/forearms. I don't think it's how I view it, I believe that's the message he is conveying.

No idea what he means by that.

Look, I have seen a million swings in my life and probably took close to the same. If somebody told me you ONLY need to worry about using your hands/forearms to be explosive I would first see if the guy had a bad day and search for other videos to see if he was always saying the same thing. If he did I would call the guy a quack and move on to somebody else. You need to have a filter based upon what you see in good swings..There are other videos where TM does a better job of explaining what he thinks causes an explosive barrel turn.

May 12, 2016
No idea what he means by that.

Look, I have seen a million swings in my life and probably took close to the same. If somebody told me you ONLY need to worry about using your hands/forearms to be explosive I would first see if the guy had a bad day and search for other videos to see if he was always saying the same thing. If he did I would call the guy a quack and move on to somebody else. You need to have a filter based upon what you see in good swings..There are other videos where TM does a better job of explaining what he thinks causes an explosive barrel turn.
I am open to all views.. I'm not a stubborn person, I want to learn, no agendas here. But I can say with %100 confidence that TM is a hands/forearms TTB focused instructor. Does that mean he doesn't cover other parts of the body? Hell no. That's not what I am saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32