TTB and the Fastpitch Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Has anyone posted this drill at all? I am interested in seeing this. thanks.

I have seen several different versions of it, but here is one example. It is often easier for a new hitter to start in a neck slot position, as this example demonstrates. But once a hitter has this feeling down, my preference is to arrive there dynamically. In other words, they need to be able to laser pitches in all locations, instead of just off a tee.

5ZgZI9q.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I have seen several different versions of it, but here is one example. It is often easier for a new hitter to start in a neck slot position, as this example demonstrates. But once a hitter has this feeling down, my preference is to arrive there dynamically. In other words, they need to be able to laser pitches in all locations, instead of just off a tee.

5ZgZI9q.gif

Thank you for the clip, i really appreciate it. However, I am struggling with this. Wouldn't this promote an around the body swing? I guess i am just not sure if this is a progression drill or what the final feel should be. There doesn't seem to be any bat lag or whip occurring in the swing.

The reason i am struggling with this is RDbass has stated a couple times i am overcoaching my DD. And that is a true statement. But i think the reason i do that is because of drills like this set in motion something i cannot easily change in my DD. Unless i am missing something which most likely is the case.

Maybe i should ask what the purpose of this drill is. What should a hitter feel or learn from this drill? Thanks

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thank you for the clip, i really appreciate it. However, I am struggling with this. Wouldn't this promote an around the body swing? I guess i am just not sure if this is a progression drill or what the final feel should be. There doesn't seem to be any bat lag or whip occurring in the swing.

The reason i am struggling with this is RDbass has stated a couple times i am overcoaching my DD. And that is a true statement. But i think the reason i do that is because of drills like this set in motion something i cannot easily change in my DD. Unless i am missing something which most likely is the case.

Maybe i should ask what the purpose of this drill is. What should a hitter feel or learn from this drill? Thanks

It's a drill... Its designed to promote a feel. A feel of turning the barrel. Over baking this or any other drill can lead to problems. It is an isolation drill so it is not intended to be perfect in every aspect. That's why it is a drill. When I work with someone we may do 10 to 15 swings with this drill. Then we will go to side toss and do 10 or 15 more. Then we move on to front toss. I will only go back to side toss or tee if I need to. Otherwise we stick with front toss.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
It's a drill... Its designed to promote a feel. A feel of turning the barrel. Over baking this or any other drill can lead to problems. It is an isolation drill so it is not intended to be perfect in every aspect. That's why it is a drill. When I work with someone we may do 10 to 15 swings with this drill. Then we will go to side toss and do 10 or 15 more. Then we move on to front toss. I will only go back to side toss or tee if I need to. Otherwise we stick with front toss.

Thanks FP. Were there specific things with your hitters that you identified that they needed to work on this drill? DBSF? Thanks.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks FP. Were there specific things with your hitters that you identified that they needed to work on this drill? DBSF? Thanks.

DBSF is one possibility. Most younger hitters I see either don't use their hands properly, are too rotational, or both. I will typically work on their hands first because in many cases we can make quicker strides in that area. At least in my experience. Once they start squaring up balls more consistently and hear a different sound coming off the bat, they get excited and want to keep it going. This is a good drill to start with because it helps them with the hands part. Yes, it appears to be rotational (around the body), but like I said, it is only a drill. When they are swinging against a live pitcher, the result is different.

Note: If you take much video, you will notice pretty quickly that many young hitter's tee swings do not match their live swings. There is a reason for that... Therefore I use tees sparingly. I think they are useful in some cases, especially to introduce a new concept, but my goal is to progress to front toss as much as possible and only return to the tee when necessary.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
DBSF is one possibility. Most younger hitters I see either don't use their hands properly, are too rotational, or both. I will typically work on their hands first because in many cases we can make quicker strides in that area. At least in my experience. Once they start squaring up balls more consistently and hear a different sound coming off the bat, they get excited and want to keep it going. This is a good drill to start with because it helps them with the hands part. Yes, it appears to be rotational (around the body), but like I said, it is only a drill. When they are swinging against a live pitcher, the result is different.

Note: If you take much video, you will notice pretty quickly that many young hitter's tee swings do not match their live swings. There is a reason for that... Therefore I use tees sparingly. I think they are useful in some cases, especially to introduce a new concept, but my goal is to progress to front toss as much as possible and only return to the tee when necessary.

Thanks again FP, One of my hang ups is currently a tight HPP which i think leads to a rotational swing, UNLESS you instruct on the lag and release/whip to contact along with HPP. at least that is what i am leaning to now.

it has been hard for me to understand when i hear everything in silos and not a full progression. tee/toss/live plus each component of the swing. I am impatient and want the easy way out. Hence my struggle.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks again FP, One of my hang ups is currently a tight HPP which i think leads to a rotational swing, UNLESS you instruct on the lag and release/whip to contact along with HPP. at least that is what i am leaning to now.

it has been hard for me to understand when i hear everything in silos and not a full progression. tee/toss/live plus each component of the swing. I am impatient and want the easy way out. Hence my struggle.

Dont forget that the lower half is also important in barrel path. When the lower and upper are synced properly the barrel path will look much better. TTB is only part of the answer. An important part but still just a part.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Several years ago I had a girl with some serious bat drag. I took an old LL wood bat that I had, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the handle. Then I took a cat laser and inserted it in the hole, bingo, the laser drill for real. I sent her home to practice with it. Maybe I should have patented it. It worked.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Several years ago I had a girl with some serious bat drag. I took an old LL wood bat that I had, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the handle. Then I took a cat laser and inserted it in the hole, bingo, the laser drill for real. I sent her home to practice with it. Maybe I should have patented it. It worked.
I had that idea 10 years ago. It is a great idea. Hurry patent it!
I use to tell hitters pretend the bat handle is a flashlight.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I would be afraid that some kid would be practicing at home, the family cat would go after the laser, then get clubbed by the bat head and I would sued.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1