Tryout Frustration

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
China- Sorry if I didn't word the post correctly. I meant that my wife was happy that she didn't get yelled at by me. While I am very passionate about my DD, I would hopefully never ever embarrass her by yelling at her on the field. I am very mindful of how others may take my actions at the field. I sit along the fence with my DW and baby DD #2. I have learned a lot over the past couple years. This board has been very instrumental in my becoming a better softball parent. A year ago, I would have been telling my DD everything she did wrong and she should consider whether she wants to continue playing. I know she loves the game. Hopefully, she only had a bad day. If she asks me my opinion today, we will talk about being prepared and how important first impressions are. I won't bring up the errant throws or bobbled balls to her. I am sure she knows she made those errors. I will also explain that because she can pitch, she will be given opportunities that others may not. She will need to learn to take advantage of all of her opportunities. It's funny, she has taught me more about being a good parent, then I could ever teach her about being a good player. As we both attempt to learn the mental part of the game, there will be growing pains. I only hope when the softball experience is over, we are both better people for being part of it.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
After my DD's tryout SHE told me she could have done better at some things. Good enough for me. It's tough though watching them and knowing your kid and how they are.

At my DD's travel team tryout last year, she couldn't catch a fly ball in the outfield. It was torture, since I'd seen her catch fly balls on a full sprint many times before. She was actually running PAST the ball. What it came down to was she was trying too hard.

She really wanted to make the team, and wasn't loose at all. She knew she didn't do well, but made the team anyway. Unfortunately, that tryout may have predjudiced the coaches (even though she made the team), but that's water under the bridge that can't be taken back. Hopefully she'll be able to relax and stay loose for any tryouts she has in the future.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Wow, your daughter only gets you frustrated at tryouts... you have it made. Mine keeps me frustrated 24/7/365! (Just kidding...)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC