Tricks for keeping your backstop cool

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
DD played in crazy heat and humidity this weekend, and with our other catcher out, dd caught 5 of 6 games, was an uphill battle keeping her cool. Other than hydrating like crazy, what other little tricks of the trade do you have for keeping the girls cool? Saw a couple of neat things out there, like Frog-tog? and Cool rope? Much better than a towel I think.

Mar 13, 2010
We have a seat that is specifically for the catcher. A spray bottle does wonders too. Towel or cool cloth on the back of the neck, you can put ice in there, as well as one that is ice cold water that she can use to cool her face.

In the situation you've described I would not have had her bat. If she's going to be catching that much, she needs a break during the games.

Sep 3, 2009
We have a seat that is specifically for the catcher. A spray bottle does wonders too. Towel or cool cloth on the back of the neck, you can put ice in there, as well as one that is ice cold water that she can use to cool her face.

In the situation you've described I would not have had her bat. If she's going to be catching that much, she needs a break during the games.

Lozza, yeah we had her putting a wet towel over her head between games. Thought about asking the coach to take her off the batting roster, but she really wanted to hit; and she's #2 in the lineup. I could certainly tell that it affected her performance however. Hopefully our other catcher will be a little more available the rest of the summer.

Jun 18, 2010
We purchased a bunch of cheap wash cloths from wal-mart. We fill a cooler ice and water and put those wash cloths in there. The girls would put them on their necks and head, they could use them to wipe their faces, etc... We also use the cooler to keep the spay bottles in like Lozza mentioned. So the water being sprayed is really cool. Just A side note, I know the WCWS was being played in OK City... Did anyone notice some of the Baylor girls wearing long sleeves?

Jan 24, 2009
Besides a lot of hydration, feed her. She is burning a lot of calories and needs fuel.

Find the next best option and suit her up here and there. Look at your first baseman. She may not be a 'catcher', but she is a player who can catch. With the other 'real' catcher out, you have to take care that the catcher on hand doesn't drop. If she is the team mule in the heat, she'll be exhausted by the late games that really matter.

If we're talking the heavier, fulller-figured type of catcher, she may need more rest and more aggressive cooling, but also don't underestimate the needs of your long and lean type either.

Some ideas are:
-hands in the ice water cooler submerging the wrists, 10 seconds on/20 off
-ice packs to the axillae or if not possible
-ice packs over the brachial area
-cold cloth to the back of the neck
-shade along with
-makeshift evaporative cooler(seating area with wet towels hanging in a corner that has airflow
-exposed, cool feet between games or breaks. Dry socks/cleats to put back on.
-plenty of ice cold electrolyte (sports drink) and free water replacement!
-allow her to be less 'fired up' with cheering/stomping, etc. Excuse her from 'everybody on the fence' being noisy and energetic and just let her chill when out of the gear.

I'm assuming younger ages here and they don't have a good understanding of the whys and hows of hydration and fuel and rest, so the adults need to keep close watch and interact frequently.

I feel like a tournament team is only as good as it's #2/3 catchers and pitchers who help the team advance while keeping #1/2 healthy and rested, but your mileage may vary.

Good luck.

Jul 26, 2010
We purchased a bunch of cheap wash cloths from wal-mart. We fill a cooler ice and water and put those wash cloths in there. The girls would put them on their necks and head, they could use them to wipe their faces, etc... We also use the cooler to keep the spay bottles in like Lozza mentioned. So the water being sprayed is really cool. Just A side note, I know the WCWS was being played in OK City... Did anyone notice some of the Baylor girls wearing long sleeves?

Using heatgear underarmor in the hot sun is actually cooler then trying to sweat through pores clogged with sunscreen.

-W

Jan 24, 2009
If an inning gets long, ask for time and go and get your catcher's helmet off and give her some quickie 'boxing corner' maintenance. Bring a drink for blue also.

Wet rag to the neck, dry towel off her face/head, and look at her eyes. Replace her on the spot if she is looking dazed at all, but the quick time out can be a good refresher...only takes 30 seconds.

Vdub

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Heat stroke is very serious. If your DD is needing all of this, she is catching too many games.

How does she feel today? Sometimes, it is just impossible to get enough fluids in us, to avoid dehydration. Does she have a head ache, this morning?

Is she physically prepared through, diet and exercise, to catch in that type of heat? Good luck. I know she wouldn't want to come out of the game, but it is better than risking her health.

Nov 8, 2010
Always always always keep the catchers gear in the shade. Keeping that out of the sun takes precedence over any other gear in the dugout. Gallon sized zip lock bags full of ice to go into the helmet and on the chest protector during offensive innings will help keep it cooled down as well. Use more of those bags of ice right on top of the catchers head and on her chest when she's off too. Try to gauge your kids, some kids can handle the heat better than others. If #1 is prone to falling out in the third game of the day at 100 degrees but your #2 just keeps plugging along and working hard then don't hesitate to make the switch, you'll get better results all around by doing so sooner rather than later.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish