Tricks for keeping your backstop cool

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2011
"We bought her one of these... Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad - Dick's Sporting Goods
DD loves it. I'm surprised at how long it keeps cool, and when it does warm up, you can just get it wet again. Best softball related item we've bought this year. "

We use the chamios type towels that you dry the car with.... same material and yes they do seem to stay cold for ever. Ice chest with water and G2 and a few of these chamois will keep them cool. Pitchers use them on our team too.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Some good info here . Our catcher hydrates a lot but seems to struggle with the heat so I will bring a few of these ideas to our final tourney for her .

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
Was just reading over quickly, but Catchersmom had some great input on this. People forget that plastic (especially if it is a dark shade) will heat up faster than your DD. Cool it down between innings and it will help with the comfort. Health-wise, make sure that she is drinking as much fluid as she can between innings and eating something between games.

Also, when I was playing, I frequently put a very light towel which was drenched in ice cold water between innings inside my helmet. The towel needs to be long enough to drape along the neck. This always had a HUGE impact while playing in very hot temperatures when I was young.

I will say that the team really needs to look into making sure there is another catcher for those tournaments. I didn't see the age of your daughter listed, but if she is younger than 16, that is far too much for one day. Three games is one thing, if she is alternating with someone. That would be fine. But 5 out of 6 is excessive.

Looks like a lot of good info here.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Always always always keep the catchers gear in the shade. Keeping that out of the sun takes precedence over any other gear in the dugout. Gallon sized zip lock bags full of ice to go into the helmet and on the chest protector during offensive innings will help keep it cooled down as well. Use more of those bags of ice right on top of the catchers head and on her chest when she's off too. Try to gauge your kids, some kids can handle the heat better than others. If #1 is prone to falling out in the third game of the day at 100 degrees but your #2 just keeps plugging along and working hard then don't hesitate to make the switch, you'll get better results all around by doing so sooner rather than later.
We used your suggestion for ice bags in the helmet and on the chest protector yesterday. It helped quite a bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet