Tricks for keeping your backstop cool

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Sep 3, 2009
Heat stroke is very serious. If your DD is needing all of this, she is catching too many games.

How does she feel today? Sometimes, it is just impossible to get enough fluids in us, to avoid dehydration. Does she have a head ache, this morning?

Is she physically prepared through, diet and exercise, to catch in that type of heat? Good luck. I know she wouldn't want to come out of the game, but it is better than risking her health.

Yeah, wouldn't ever let her catch that many games in a day. This was basically 2 games a day, spread over fri, sat, sun. They kept winning, so their schedule was pretty easy. But this was our first really hot weekend of the year, so they were feeling it.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Two games a day is doable if they are the typical length travel game (1.5 hour max). Also, if you're not playing back to back, use the off time so relax and refuel.

In the game she didn't catch, did she play? Many times our main catcher, when given a break due to amount of playing time, sits (or cheers) the entire time and doesn't play in her off game.

Our catchers never seem to have had a problem.

Me on the other hand is a different story. This morning i woke up at 1 am with a massive cramp in my calf. It lasted over 2 minutes and wouldn't go away. Today it's tough walking as my calf is so sore. But I blame that on Bishop. His team bounced us out of a tourney fairly quickly. I got to go home and grill steak and drink margaritas. I suspect it was the margaritas that did me in.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Did anyone notice some of the Baylor girls wearing long sleeves?

Yes, Arizona State, pitcher and 3rd base also wore long sleeves. It was breezy in OKC that week and that helps a lot with keeping cool. The dugouts also have fans and combine that with being in the shade and it's tolerable in OKC.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009

At the MU camp this past week, they talked about the under armour heat gear. The players there, swear by it.

DD loves it. I'm surprised at how long it keeps cool, and when it does warm up, you can just get it wet again. Best softball related item we've bought this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Yes, Arizona State, pitcher and 3rd base also wore long sleeves. It was breezy in OKC that week and that helps a lot with keeping cool. The dugouts also have fans and combine that with being in the shade and it's tolerable in OKC.

The heat here is hardly tolerable, but we are used to it. We seem to have 2 seasons - winter and summer. So it is either freezing cold or blistering hot. Windy and 100 degrees only equals a blast furnace. LOL

Jan 23, 2009
NE
When it gets that hot we like to bring frozen grapes (green) to the games. The girls eat them up and with them frozen it cools and hydrates them also.

We have even done watermelon bits in the dug out for my DD to help cool and hydrate.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is expected to be 115, here today. I have ordered a shirt in the heatgear. Perhaps I can turn off the A/C, when it arrives. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My shirt arrived. It is a woman's large, Under Armour compression heatgear. I am 5'9" and 145 pounds and this may be too tight. I got the white and I will certainly need a tee shirt over it.

Of course, Tucson is just unbearably hot at 112, but I don't think this shirt is helping.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
We've used individually frozen hand towels and cold water up to this point, but now have some other great ideas for the kids to try--thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish