travel team rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I do not like running as punishment. It punishes some, but most are not bothered by running.
Unless the young lady is 16+ and owns a car, it is not her fault that she is late. Some coaches schedule practice at 5PM and expect everyone to be able to be there.

If they miss a practice, have a policy, but if a young girl is 15 minutes late, it isn't her fault.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Nanotech,

Coaches coach, players play...some of the best coaches in history are overweight. I want the coach there for his brains not if he can run a few wind sprints.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
ok folks..back on task please...I don't care about overweight coaches...the whole thing is if a player misses a game or a practice thats not due to religion or sickness, should that player play?? My whole schedule is mapped out and the parents have it. Should a player who is late start over someone who was on time and should a player who has missed a game or practice start/play over another player?? (FYI-this is a town travel team where 14 out of 15 players live in the same town and go to the same school)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Most people go out of their way to get kids to their activities and most have more than one kid. The parents need to talk to the coach and explain their situation. I know that my niece had a volleyball game, after school yesterday, needed to shower, eat and get to a 2 hour softball practice. I wouldn't have wanted this 13 YO punished for being 10 minutes late.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Lets take a look at the NFL for an examlpe,I know it is a pro sports,but how do you think the super stars that get in trouble got that way?I know, I might not be right on all of them,but they probably for the most part did what they wanted and when they wanted,when they where younger in youth sports,H.S. and college,after all they are the superstars.Now here comes the real world and there are rules even for the super stars,not that they are punished the same as the everyday Joe or Jane,but you see what I'am getting at.Show the super star now when they are young that they have to follow the rules too.But like Amy said you have to know the story first,before you send out the punishment,hopefully the parents will talk to the coach and let them whats go on.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Town Travel and you only excuse religion and illness. What about a sisters wedding or graduation. Just take it individually, ask for as much notice as possible and use common sense when dealing with kids who have little say on when they arrive and what they attend.

I am not referring to missing for a sleepover.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Should a player who is late start over someone who was on time and should a player who has missed a game or practice start/play over another player??

If you coach travel long enough, at some point you have to abandon mandatory practices. Any coach has to make an exception for school activities, so if the kid is a normal 15YOA kid, she will be up to her nose in choir, band, and a dozen other things. So, already, the kid can get out of 50% of the practices.

Additionally, the punishment is a little surreal on a high level travel team. E.g. the big dog pitcher misses a practice, and the coach says, "OK...you aren't going to sit the first game of this weekends tournament where will we will likely play 9 games." ??? The whole thing is stupid.

And, come on,if your team is in the championship of an 18U Gold tournament against the OC Batbusters, are you really going to sit your 71 MPH pitcher because she missed Thursday's practice? Not likely.

So, you have to treat players like you are teaching a 4th year college course in physics: I.e., "You can show up to class as you like. It doesn't matter to me. You have to know what works for you to learn this and do it. If that means you come to every class, great. I'll be here. If that means you miss every class and read at the library, great. But, the bottom line is that if you fail to perform on the tests, you fail."

The harsh reality of life is that some people are more talented than others. Perhaps it is related to God given talent, perhaps it is due to their work ethic, perhaps it is because their parents are crazy.

Playing time has to be based on the ability of the player to perform, and nothing else. If Sally can catch better than anyone else on your team and never come to practice, then she should get to play while sweet Suzy, who comes to every practice early but can't get the ball to second base, sits.

So, you have to leave it up to the kids to figure out if they need practice. If they don't need practice and are better than everyone else, great. That means more time for everyone else at practice. If they need practice but don't show up and fall behind, then "too bad, too bad."

Last edited:

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
religion and illnes awere just an example...so if a player has a wedding to go to and they are a good player should they start over someone who is not as good?? What aboiut this...the parent tells me she overslept because (the parent) was out late last night at a partry having a good time!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
the parent tells me she overslept because (the parent) was out late last night at a partry having a good time!!

Tucc, Is that the real question? Then, sometimes you do have to sit a girl because the parents are stupid. Sometimes, you even have to cut the girl from the team.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Maybe you should ask your players what the penalty should be.

Nanotech14, the players in the NFL are grownups who are paid handsomely for their dedication. Not the same deal as a kid who's parents dictate arrival times. AND I might add, in this economy I am more hesitant about heading out a few minutes early to ensure DD gets to practice 15 minutes early. We make every effort to be prompt but I make no excuses about paying the bills and keeping my priorities straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1